Thymic Carcinoma treatment

• 3 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hi all, my partner was diagnosed with thymic carcinoma in January. Surgery was never an option, sadly, because it was deemed too risky, and unfortunately chemotherapy didn’t seem to stabilise the cancer as we hoped it would. 

My partner’s consultant is considering Sunitinib as the next treatment. Just wondering what treatment other people have had for thymic carcinoma? Also, has anyone got any experience of Sunitinib? 

Thanks, Emma 

• Good Evening Emmaroo,

I hope that you do not mind me replying as I had a different type of cancer to your partner. I thought that by replying it might bump your post back to the top and someone who has had the same cancer will see it.

I am sorry that your partner was diagnosed with thymic carcinoma back in January and that surgery was not an option and chemo has not helped as much as expected. I see that your partners consultant is considering targeted therapy as the next treatment. You have asked about the sunitinib. 

I have found a bit of information about it which may help answer some of your questions. I will pop a link below for you.

Sunitinib | Macmillan Cancer Support

I hope this helps a bit.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Emma

I, too, have thymic carcinoma squamous cell stage 4, diagnose May 2021 with no option of surgery. I had 5 maximum dose palliative radiation treatments immediately after diagnosis to shrink tumor and relieve pressure on my left main artery and to relieve uncontrollable pain. I am fortunate having great results. I then started carbo/taxol and completed 6 cycles on Sept. 10th 2021. CT scan showed NED and to this day I am still very blessed with NED. After 2 years I have graduated from scans every 3 months to every 4 months. 

I will keep you and your partner in my thoughts as you navigate this cancer journey together. Positive vibes UnicornMuscle please keep us updated. 
    Never fight alone. Unicorn strong. 
    Dianna

• Thank you so much for replying Dianna. I’m very happy to hear that you’ve had two years of NED. That’s very reassuring. :-)  Did you need any maintenance treatment at all? 

We’ve had a crazy six months.  Sunitinib didn’t work for my partner either and we were told that the cancer had spread to his bones, plural lining and lymph nodes around his abdomen - he became very poorly and ended up in hospital where we were put in touch with the palliative care team, but my partner really wanted to try carbo/taxol. After three cycles he had amazing/miraculous results with most of cancer disappearing. He’s got his sixth cycle coming up on the 8th December and then he’ll have another scan. We’re really hoping that the chemo is still working.  Fingers crossed tone2 It would be fantastic if he had results that showed NED. 

A doctor in America suggested that in the event of positive results, he should consider having taxol only every three weeks as maintenance so it would be interesting to hear whether you had any maintenance treatment, or if you just had scans after carbo/taxol. 

take care, Emma