Thymus cancer or Thymoma -New Primary Cancers?

• 2 replies
  • 2 subscribers

My 49 year old son was diagnosed late 2023 with a tumour on his thymus. It was found during a scan for something else. They haven't told us yet if it's thymoma or thymus cancer. He is now near the middle of his second round of chemo (CAP), and will have three more rounds followed by surgery to remove the thymus.

I have heard that Thymus cancer brings with it the risk of new primary cancers (as opposed to metastasis, which any cancer can bring). Does anyone know why that is, or how often it occurs? Or what other organs are usually affected?

• Hello   I have come across your post which has had a number of views but no replies. (I can't answer it myself as I have a different cancer). By my replying though it will be bumped back to the top of the forum and should come to the attention of more Community members.

You could always pose the question to our "Ask a Nurse" service - they should be able to give you an answer on this question. The link to this is here:

Ask a Nurse 

I hope this helps and if I can do anything else for you, please let me know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.