RPLND

• 4 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi everyone. 

Unfortunately I find myself here again after my original diagnosis of testicular cancer back in October 22’

I had my orchidectomy to remove my left testicle around November and ended up with a very painful hematoma which needed further hospitalisation over a week and led to to 2 further surgeries to fix the issue. 
I thought all was well after that but subsequent CT scans have shown that I have enlarged lymph nodes which require RPLND. 

My surgery is scheduled for this coming Tuesday, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried due to how intense it sounds. 
does anyone have any advice on how to prepare/deal with the aftermath? 

any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

thanks so much in advance, 

Adam 

•   

Hi Adam

I can't help with shared experience but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be easier for other group members to spot.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Dear Adam

I am in a similar situation- my oncologist has suggested I require RPLND post chemotherapy.

How did you get on? How is your recovery going?

My concern is that it’s a major operation and there are potential complications.

Thanks in advance

• Hi Geekaz, 

im sorry you find yourself in a similar situation, and are rightfully worried about the implications of such a big surgery. 

The surgery itself went well, about 7 hours in total and I came to on the recovery ward, my one advice for this part would be to be vocal about the pain you’ll find yourself in. It’s completely normal and the nurses are really great at managing it with meds.

I spent about 5 days total in hospital, first couple of days were rough, but you’ll have physio attend to get you up and trying to move. again, just remember to be vocal about what you feel your body is capable of in that moment. 

the wound itself, if I’m being candid, it’s quite intense. I did unfortunately develop an infection (which I’m very prone to do) in the wound which slowed down the healing process. 
    it’s about 2 months ish since the surgery now and I find myself relatively back to normal. I did develop a side effect of nerve damage from left hip, down to my left foot, which can happen but it’s a very small chance, I believe somewhere in the region of <5%. 
    That is my main source of pain/annoyance right now but is being managed via my GP. 
    they removed 13 nodes in total, and managed to remove ones that were confirmed as cancerous, and have been given the all clear now. Effectively cancer free and just the odd follow up every 6 months. 

If there is anything in particular you wanted answers on, I’ll be happy to help. as you can see when I posted the original post, I didn’t get any replies to answers I was searching for so if it helps you, I’m happy to do it. 

All the best, 

Adam 

• Thanks for getting back to me. I am delighted to hear that you are Cancer free.

I take on board your advice about being vocal when required.

At this stage, I have no dates/appointments, I have more questions than answers. I am most apprehensive about nerve damage and not being able to conceive naturally (I have already done banking before the orchidectomy).

Have you heard of “Nerve saving” RPLND? Were you offered this? To be honest, I don’t even think this is an option as there is only one surgeon in my region that can perform this procedure.