1 cycle of 5 day BEP - what should I expect and how to prepare?

• 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

Following my orchiectomy on 03/10/22 and a diagnosis of Stage 1B Mixed GCT (90%embyronal + LVI) I've had a meeting with my Oncologist who recommend to have 1x cycle of BEP Chemo. I am due to be admitted into wards on 24/10/22 to start my 5 day infusion. I am quite scared and feel very un-prepared. 

What can I expect in terms of health and side effects during and after treatment and how should I prepare for my hospital admission? They mentioned that chemo patients are at high risk of infection so should I have people visit me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi MrTeethGuy

Sorry to hear what you are going through, takes me back to January this year. My treatment plan wasn't as intense as yours (one shot of Carboplatin) so I can't offer great advice. What I can tell you though I had never been sick in my life, never had an operation and was shit scared of needles and anything hospital related. I think I kind of channeled all my fear into determination. You're through the painful bit and now you can see the end. Again, my infusion was not like yours but I didn't find it particularly uncomfortable. I was home in a few hours but did not have visitors for a couple of weeks. I was out going for walks within a few days though. It did take me a good few months to feel back to 100%. I had headaches, tinnitus and fatigue (actually still have fatigue), but all in all I'll take that for my health! My advice is to stack up on boxsets, books, your favorite food and anything to fill time. If you have a partner \ family be sure to open up and ask for help (they will be more effected by this than you may realize). Try not to be scared, you are already braver than you realise by getting this far!