PICC line

• 2 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi,

I've been informed my chemo treatment will be administered by a PICC line. Having researched this, I'm more concerned about a PICC line than the chemo drugs. A line leading to the heart. Major concerning risks are bubble on the line and arythmia followed by reduced ability to move (can't do weights or strenuous activity). Does anyone have experience of a PICC line and it's challenges and limitations?

Jai

• . Hi Jai. I had a PICC line in for several months for my bladder cancer. Never had a problem with it. Painless going in. You can do pretty much anything with it in, although as you say, anything heavy is not advised. You tend to forget you have it. Most of the time it is covered with a dressing when not in use. You can buy sleeves to cover it up, but I made do with a roll of tubi grip and cut a fresh piece off each day to keep it clean. Important not to get it wet. again you can buy waterproof covers, but I made do with clingfilm in the bath and shower, just a bit careful. It needs to be flushed once a week. More of an inconvenience more than anything else. Does away with all the needles for blood tests etc. Hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hello Jai

i had a PICC line inserted for my EP treatment and found it a great help. I did  the first cycle on a cannula but had issues on day 4 with it blowing and the nurses trying to get a vein. I had the PICC inserted prior to cycle 2 so had it in for three months in total, and as mentioned found I could do most things with it, was able to run and did weights but again  nothing too heavy or lifting above shoulder height. You need to keep it dry so no swimming and I got a Limbo on prescription which is a plastic sleeve to keep it dry while showering. It does need to be flushed but they have pushed the current guidelines to every 2 weeks with COVID, To be honest I went slightly longer between a flush as I came down with COVID so had to isolate between a cycle, and the wife ended up flushing it with instructions via face time from one of the nurses. I did not find it uncomfortable, and to be honest found it so much easier than the cannula. 
    Good luck with your treatment 

cheers