Don't give up

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Nine years ago today, in fact tonight I was admitted to Southampton General Hospital at Lordshill with testicular cancer the size of a melon and a large secondary tumour the size of a large baby. The secondary had wrapped itself around the left kidney and was threatening kidney function and my stomach had been pushed out to my ribcage and had been squeezed to a third of its size. It was serious for me, I was stage 3C and stage 4 under their classification was terminal. During this time I got pneumonia, I was spiking at 39.8 C, I was on the "at risk of death register", the doctors wanted to move me to a side room and I went down the tunnel and saw 2 figures at the end. But I recovered and after 2 months of 4 cycles of 5 days of chemo therapy ending on December 4th, it had shrunk to a fifth of its size and by the time the testicle was removed, no cancer cells were found under the microscope. Its as good as it gets. A bad day for me was someone telling me I had cancer, but I never gave up (I had to comfort the Registrar who told me) and most people said I was in denial. I had 9 months off work but returned and continued with life.

My message to the members on this group, is don't give up and do what the doctors and nurses tell you. You will feel discomfort during treatment but the trade off is that you will get your life back and live for decades afterwards. 

I am so grateful to all the doctors and nurses at Southampton who gave me a second chance and everyday I wake up I am grateful to see the sunrise. 

A big shout out to all those having treatment for TC at the moment. Keep the faith !

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

It sounds like you have had a lot to deal with but it's great to hear that you've come through and are enjoying life.

I'm sure that existing members of this group, plus people who will join in future, will take great heart from reading your post.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yes I will do that, thanks for the welcome but I have been a member of this forum since 2012 when I posted regularly. I couldn't find my old profile, it used to be RichieRoo so I created a new one for my 9th anniversary. All the best.

• Hi

Sorry to have assumed you were a new member but when I looked at your activity this was the only post you'd made under this username so I wrongly assumed that you'd just joined.

I've reported the problem you have of not being able to locate your old profile to admin. If they can find it then they may be able to amalgamate the two.

Best wishes

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Great post richieroo nee roo.  

You are perhaps the greatest example there is of how treatable TC is.  From 3c to clear in 2 months of treatment.  Modern medicine.  I certainly am not underestimating the intensity of those 2 months though - In the past my hair “fell out”.

Great to heat from another brother.  

take care

dan