Blood in urine

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with testicular cancer back in October last year. Had surgery in November - pure Seminoma. Border line suspicion enlarged lymph node. Currently under surveillance.

At about the same time my testicle had swelled twice the size of the other one, I noticed that all of a sudden my urine was very dark, got a little better when I drunk lots and lots of water, but wasn’t right. So at the time I put it down to having the cancer. 4 months on and it’s still very dark. I’ve had tests before at my local GP, who sent it off and came back with no infection. It’s also been intermittent, one time there was no trace, and another there was. Today I met with my consultant, and asked me if any concerns, I told him that my urine is very dark, so he offered me a urine test there and then, which the results came back showing blood in urine +2. He said although my CT scan for testicular cancer (last month) was clear and does check around your kidneys there is a specific type of scan for the kidneys, and also that it could be my bladder. He told me to go to my GP next week to get tested again. I’m now scared that it could be bladder cancer, which blood is the main symptom, am I being paranoid, would they have picked something up on the scan anyway? Somethings not right. I just feel like I’m finally getting to grips with testicular cancer and now I’ve got another thing to sort out. Has anyone had any experiences similar to this? I’ve got a feeling I’m gonna have to see a urologist (AGAIN). I also get lower back pain now and again that comes and goes.

thanks all in advance 

• Hi . I hope you don't mind me popping over from the bladder group, but I noticed your concerns. Blood in urine can be caused by a number of things, but needs to be investigated if there is no sign of infection. If you are over 45, then the guidelines say you should be referred to urology under the 2 weeks rule. If not you may need to suggest it to your GP. Abnormalities in the bladder are not always picked up on scans. The true test to see if there is anything there is a visual inspection with a camera (flexible cystoscopy). A painless procedure. On a positive note, I have been in the bladder group for over 6 years and cannot recall anyone developing bladder cancer after having TC. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?