Does an MRI scan tell you 100%

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi, so I’ve just bEdn to see the urologist..ok wait I shall take it back a bit.

So me and my partner have been going through ivf, which ain’t been to much fun! Last operation I had was to do I biopsy on my right hand chap, the results weren’t great, So After the operation I had a bad few days after being in a hell of a lot of pain, and discovered I had a small bleed.

Anyway fast forward to know, I have not long had an ultrasound to make sure all is pretty, and yesterday had to visit the urologist, and she has said that, they think the small lump we thought was the bleed is actually something more sinister. And I have 2 options.

Remove the right chap, which I instantly said ain’t happening, I think this is a more easy decision for them as I’ve had no luck from that chap with the ivf. However the thought of that just ain’t imaginable..! So anyway, I’m awaiting an emergency mri.

This is all a bit of a shock to be honest, and I’m a bit all over the place, will this mri give 100% info on what it is? Has anyone had similar? And surely this is just dry blood or something from the operation eh? 

Thanks 

• Hi mate,

In 2014 I began having left groin pain and was referred for an ultrasound which showed a large mass in my right testicle. I was very sceptical about the cancer diagnosis and asked for a second opinion which I was advised would be pointless and only delay treatment. I went ahead with the orchidectomy and went home feeling the job was done and I’ll now be cancer free. My pain continued though and when I returned 2 weeks later to get my results they told me that there was no cancer found in the testicle and that it would need to be sent off to Barts hospital to be looked at as they couldn’t believe there was no cancer - especially after seeing the ultrasound etc. A month later the lead pathologist at Barts sent a report saying that in many cases to avoid unnecessary orchidectomy it is best to wait and see and to monitor the testicle. In my case this would’ve been the best option as it turned out to just be scar tissue and if they has listened to my concerns they may have picked it up on an MRI or PET scan but obviously this costs money and they’re already overwhelmed as it is. Unfortunately for me my pain is still there 5 years later and I also have fairly low testosterone thanks to being down to one testicle and ongoing depression etc. Luckily I’m having steroid injections in a couple of weeks to hopefully cure the pain but I’m still left with only one testicle due their misdiagnosis. The moral of the story is obviously nothing is ever 100% but you should push for further tests and even pay privately for extra ones if you are unsure or feel rushed into making a decision like having a sexual organ removed.

cheers

Paul

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Paul277

Paul,

thanks for your reply mate, means a lot. Jesus I’m sorry to hear about what you’ve had to go through mate, I actually don’t have many words. I could understand my urologist knee jerk reaction (in some sense) as my chap ain’t really doing what he’s meant toDisappointed and I’m thinking it’s a no brainier for them. However in my head it’s everything to me..?   However this misdiagnosis with you actually fills me with rage, and I applaud you Paul for writing in a clear calm way about your experience and advice.

Since Friday, I’ve done a little research, and have learned more about the post operation of having it removed, And a lot has stated pretty much what you have said, and are going through. 

Thanks for the advice and your time to write mate, hope the steroid injection does it’s job. I shall stick a wee update here when I’ve had my m.r.i scan. 

Cheers 

Graeme