It finally hit me (Righticle, post op - awaiting BEP treatment start)

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 12 subscribers

It finally hit me that I have cancer, and as a man of 29 years and 3 kids under 10 will be recieving chemotherapy treatment. And man, I haven't cried like that since I was a baby.

I was never actually diagnosed with any malignancy. On my first visit to my local GP back in May I wasn't even given an examination, just "It's probably a fatty lump, you're overweight as it is. I better check you for diabetes instead." I sat on that for a couple of weeks, umming and arring about a second oppinion. Second visit to the GP was similar, but more forthcoming. Scheduled in for an ultrasound 4 weeks later but no cause for concern.

Once the Ultrasound tech took a look things took a sharp left turn; Appointment with the Consultant Urologist within 2 weeks on 6th November, but no concrete diagnosis; "I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Cancer"

28th November I had a radical inguinal orchiectomy, the best hours kip i've had since my girls were born and a funny walk to the car while my richticle was lobbed to pathology, with the promise I'd hear back and be called into an MDT within a week.

Needless to say it was difficult to enjoy the festivities over the past couple of weeks.

Today I recieved the phonecall from the Oncology nurse inviting me to the MDT and confirming that the tumor they had found was indeed malignant, but that I'd also be recieving 3 cycles of BEP chemo, and that everything would be explained on monday. Bittersweet, as I had dreaded hearing that it was never cancer in the first place, but that it would require more intervention than the original surgery.

The cloud of anxiety and uncertainty that has hung over my head since I first found the lump back in May had cleared, and been replaced by both a steely determination to get through the next few months and see my girls grow up, but also dispair and anguish.

What are your lowest moment stories, and how you got through them?

First post here but long time lurker, excuse the formatting and lingo

• Hi GFX, 

I just wanted to say sorry you are here but also welcome. This is a fantastic source of wisdom and support in my experience as the wife of a wonderful man who was diagnosed with TC In December 2018.
    When I read your post it reminded me of something I saw on Instagram by a man called Pete Grieg. “When life is tough they tell you to be strong. Don’t be strong. Be weak. Unclench your fists. Dare to be vulnerable. Honest weakness takes courage. It affirms our common humanity, deepens friendship and elicits grace”. He also adds that If you’re finding life tough today, it’s okay not to be okay. Talk to someone. Don’t pretend. 

I think you need to talk about what you are feeling or your loved ones won’t know. This is a learning journey for all of you but they won’t know how to help and you will have to tell them. 

On a practical note, my husband also had chemo ( 4 x EP as he is over 40 and wanted to avoid the lung damage risk that the bleomycin presents to over 40s) and although it was tiring it is manageable and temporary. 
    Also, your youth will mean it is easier on your body. Any practical qs re that just shout! 

Remember that this type of cancer is highly curable and statistics are HIGHLY in your favour! 

My friend told us to treat it like eating an elephant. You can’t eat it whole. Just a little piece At a time. Just think about doing today. 
    24 hours. You can’t control the physical but you can control the mental. 

take care and if you have any qs just ask! 

• Also I have just been looking at a book we as a family received for Christmas and thought might be a nice one to read to your kids during this testing time. 
    The author is called Charlie Mackesy and it’s called “ The boy, the mole, the fox and the horse”. It is a beautiful book with amazing illustrations and inspirational words. 

Take care.