Therapy and advice

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

I had my orchiectomy over 2 months ago, but I was misdiagnosed 3 months before that with epididymitis and I knew my cancer was there for that long and I had a hard time finding a urologist who would operate right away. When I finally had my operation I was sure my cancer was very advanced and that I was doomed and I was already planning how to leave things here on earth. After a second misdiagnosis where the radiologist reading my CT scan thought I had an enlarged lymph node which 3 other doctors and radiologists didn't see, I was finally diagnosed with stage 1B seminoma. Stage 1 is the best result one can hope for. But the celebration was short lived after realizing that I had some risk factors, 3cm tumor, extensive rete involvement, lymphvascular invasion, and it got into the hilar fat area. My oncologist suggested surveillance with a 80% already cured, I emailed Dr Einhorn who also suggests the same but he says I have a 90% chance of already being cured. I emailed a couple of other doctors my pathology report and I was quoted between 75-85 % already cured from orchiectomy, all suggesting surveillance.  While this may seem like good news I was in fact terrified, and I wanted to do some sort of adjuvant treatment because I really wanted to fight this.

I am writing this for help with some insight but also for therapeutic reasons. I have been sleeping very poorly for the past 3 months, average about 4 hours a night. I have nightmares every time I sleep mI'm sure I suffer from some depression, anxiety, panic attacks, hypochondria and possibly bipolar since sometimes I'm in a pretty good mood and sometimes I crash really hard and I'm very depressed and anxious and i feel the world will come to an end.  I'm probably at my worst right after I wake up, but it goes up and down throughout the day.  I have spoken with a few therapists but there is a big difference between therapists, psychologists, and psychiatrists. I need a doctor who can diagnose me, work out a treatment plan which involves medications and therapy. Problem is that scheduling an appointment with an actual doctor can take up to 3-4 months to see one. I can schedule an appointment with a therapist tomorrow but they are not doctors and at this point they are mostly useless, since they cant diagnose or prescribe medication. I live in the U.S. by the way and the medical system here might be a bit different.

Hypochondria might be one of my biggest issues because I look at all the treatment options as death sentences, all I see is secondary cancers and cardiovascular diseases and strokes and such. I have a DIFFICULT TIME JUST DOING A CT SCAN and I'm really afraid of them and I walked out of my initial CT scan for staging but then I returned and did it, and I also walked out of another CT and I didn't do it at all. I have talked to a doctor who is 7 hours drive away to do MRIs instead of CT scans for my surveillance because my doctor here wont do MRIs. What can I say then when I am faced with chemo and radiation which is 1000 times worse? This is the reason Ive been postponing the carbo treatment, and now after 77 days I have a last chance to do it and I'm having a difficult time again with making this decision. I know whichever decision I make I will still be equally distressed, so my mental state doesn't matter in my decision, what should matter is what will give me the best outcome, however I just cant get myself to go through with it.

Important note here is that for the past 3 months I have been constantly reading medical journals, academic articles and trials, like the Spanish and SWENOTECA  trials, and everything I could find online pretening to relapse rates and treatments for stage one seminoma. I read about proton radiation therapy, and the limited amount of trials done with that technology. I have read about long term effects and risks of chemo and radiation. This is basically ALL that I have done in the past 3 months, read and read. I even paid money to get access to articles.

The problem with reading all this is that I know so much about it that I sometimes disagree with my doctor. Like for example my doctor wants to give me a dose of carboplatin after 11 weeks from the orchiecomy but I have read that after 60 days the relapse rates are higher, and I will be at 77 days. She said that it is effective up to 3 months but that's not very comforting considering that carboplatin only has a modest effect to begin with (according to medical journals). My doctor quoted me 95% cure rate with one shot of carbo but I read that its closer to 91% especially with my risk factors. Throwing in on top of that 77 days out which again lowers my chances by who knows how much, I won't be too far from the ~80% I have already been quoted for surveillance. I have  read that I should have my cancer re-staged since the long wait but I haven't done that because I walked out of the CT scan due to panic attack, and if i do it now it will push my treatment back even longer.

I also spoke with a radiology oncologist who said that RT treatment should be done between 4-8 weeks after orchiectomy but the earliest time he could do it was AFTER 3 months from my surgery because of how busy it is. He also said that "HE FELT COMFORTABLE DOING IT AFTER MORE THAN 3 MONTHS". Is this common practice or should I be worried?

I'm having a hard time justifying the carboplain treatment. I have read too much about it, and I know that it comes with risk factors however mild, like secondary cancers, infertility, and its detected in the blood for 20 years. There is 80% chance I don't need it at all and it will only be modestly effective if I do need it. But at the same time I want to do something to fight this. I just don't know what.

Anyway that's my story. If you read it all thank you for doing so and I hope you have a nice day and God bless.

• I have no experience of carboplatin as my husband had mixed germ cell tumours (2) and so he had different type of chemo so can’t offer much in that respect. 

However, from a practical point of view I can imagine that lack of sleep/ interrupted sleep will not help your mental state. It also sounds that you have difficulty trusting the medical experts. I get it! I have had bad experiences with medical professionals and like to do my own research. However, too much research will just make your head spin and possibly do you more harm than good. From what I understand, Dr Einhorn is the leading authority on this. Does he recommend surveillance or one shot of carboplatin? I would go with him on this. 

As a side issue, remember any stage of this type of cancer is HIGHLY TREATABLE/ HIGHLY CURABLE! This is a good one to get. And you, luckily, are just stage 1. 
    My husband had stage 3C and is now in remission. 

Don’t let this awful disease steal your peace. Go for walks/ stay away from your screen/ spend time with loved ones. Take a break from research and let yourself laugh and enjoy the good stuff. Because in every day, there is good stuff. Don’t miss it because worry has won. 

Take care of yourself and ( if ok) I am praying right now for that huge heavy burden That is stealing your peace to disappear. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Spirited

Great advice, thank you Spirited. Dr Einhorn suggested I go with surveillance as have others including my oncologist. However I have a hard time accepting that due to having some risk factors on my pathology report, RTI and LVI. So I tried to go in and have a carboplatin treatment done but my hypochondria got the best of me and I ended up rescheduling a couple of times. Now Im a a point where two and half months have passed since my orchiectomy but my doctor still thinks its not too late to do the treatment. Im just having a tough time with surveillance and I dont know if I should even consider carboplatin after such a long time has passed since most people have it done before 8 weeks.

• Ok. Wish I could help you answer that question but will do what I know what to best and pray for clarity.