Rare relapse (2 years post necrotic pathology) Any experiences?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

Hi, 

My ex partner (who I'm still on good terms with) just go the news that after 2 years of being less than 1, his AFP has gone back up to 40. Nothing appeared on the CT scan and he has an MRI scheduled for tomorrow. 

His surgery was in November 2017 for mediastinal non seminomous germ cell tumour and it was 100% necrotic with clear margins after surgery. Absolutely no problems since and he is fit and healthy otherwise. 

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of relapse? What can I expect, if anything? Am understandably very worried and am really hoping for the best outcome - I just have no idea why this has happened. 

Thanks in advance 

• Hi,

Other tests will need to be done, but a 40afp suggests the presence of something.  He will receive a ct scan, the results of which will determine the route taken.

Even if it is TC the odds are very much in his favour, 90% likely to be around in 5 years time.  I don’t ride helicopters because (they are expensive!) I think they are risky, others abseil, all risky activities.  Life brings danger, he’’s a massive massive favourite to survive this one, a journey is continuing, he’ll have his story.  

The surveillance process is there for a reason, and it catches anything there is very early, hence the High success rates.

Take care

dan