Pain in my remaining testicle and groin

• 12 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hello I have been having some pain in my testicle and groin for around 5 days now. It seems to be a dull ache and also sore. My question is more so to the ones who have had testicular cancer in both testicles. I’m worried that I may have it again in my remaining testicle. I have an appointment next Tuesday with my follow up team but I’m climbing the walls. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Can I get cancer in my remaining testicle without a lump or swelling? I don’t have any swelling or a lump. Last time I had lots of swelling.The pain I’m feeling feels like last time. 

Thanks in advance.

• This group isn’t what it was. Last time I used it I got replies straight away. It’s been 26 hours now and no replies. 

Tony Soprano

Classical Seminoma, initially stage one.

Oncologist initially  unclear if elevated lymph node is due to cancer. bumped up to stage two B after CT scan 3 months later. Further spread to 2 lymph nodes and increase in size.

Undergone 3 cycles of BEP at Derby Teaching Hospital and had the all clear on 9/2/17

Now on ten years of surveillance 

• Hey Tony, 

I think maybe because you have asked a question that only a specific group can answer. 

I am pretty useless to you regarding your specific question as I am the wife of someone who had testicular cancer. However, what I can say is this. You have done all you can to get an answer to this concern and in a few days you will be able to air it with the professionals. You have done all you can. You cannot control the physical and I sincerely hope that it is not what you think it is. But you can control the mental. That way, whatever this is or isn’t will not win. 

Cancer is so flipping horrible for all who have it/ their loved ones because it creates a fear that wasn’t there previously. 

So, you have two choices; give in to the fear of the unknown and let cancer win or live in today knowing you have an appointment very soon and you have done all you can to get checked. 

Ultimately you can choose to what effect this steals your peace of mind between now and Tuesday.,Think in 24 hour terms. Find something that makes you smile today. Keep busy. Talk it out. Have a beer. Do something you love! 

Praying for all of that for you unless you would rather not have prayer. 

• Thank you for your reply. I’m just a bit all over the place at the moment. I really don’t want to go through all that again. I still haven’t got over it happening the first time fully. My life is very up and down. At the moment it is up and that’s why I don’t want anything to spoil it. Thank you again for your reply and I will try to put it to the back of my mind for the next couple of days.

Tony Soprano

Oncologist initially  unclear if elevated lymph node is due to cancer. bumped up to stage two B after CT scan 3 months later. Further spread to 2 lymph nodes and increase in size.

Undergone 3 cycles of BEP at Derby Teaching Hospital and had the all clear on 9/2/17

• Totally understandable given all you have been through. 

Vent when you need to. Rooting for you Tuesday and keep us posted!!

• Hi Tony,

I did get half way through a response, only to be distracted, and then when I returned to it, I wasn’t happy with it.  Posting on this forum requires a bit more thought than posting on the sim racing forum I also post on, if you know what I mean!

I’ve had TC in one testicle, but have relapsed, and know that feeling when CAncer has returned and is back in your life.  Currently I view my monthly surveillance as follows - the second I step out of that surveillance meeting with good news, I am the furthest point in time I can be without receiving any bad news, it’s s month until I see them again.  Tomorrow  it will be one less day till I get news.  The Friday night of the weekend if you like, longest point until back at work Monday.  

Its easy said, but until you get bad news, all is ok, try and enjoy today.  I had some swelling on my groin area last month between meetings, turns out it was nothing, and in my case I would not show swelling there if it returned. And relax!

You know the drill now, it’s the old waiting game, it doesn’t get any easier.  My fingers are crossed for the ultra sound results.

tske care 

dan

• Thank you for your reply. Yes the waiting game must be played and cannot be avoided. I will keep you all informed. I’m hoping it will just be a varicocele or something not serious.   

Tony Soprano

• Hi mate I’ve been left in Limbo for 2 weeks. I’ve got to wait 2 weeks for an ultrasound. I can’t believe that 

Tony Soprano

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tony,

I have just joined the group. I am in exactly the situation you fear. I had righty removed 20 years ago - grade 1 seminoma - three weeks of radiotherapy followed by 5 years of follow ups till I was discharged cancer clear. About 4 weeks ago I started getting pretty bad lower back pain then I noticed what I thought might be a lump in my remaining testicle with an associated dull dragging pain which I recognised from 20 years ago.  2 weeks ago I had an ultrasound which indicated a growth of some sort. The recommendation at my urology follow up was another orchidectomy although the consultant did state he would normally try to avoid due to the hormone consequences. Anyway here I am waiting for the op which happens next week on the 3rd Oct. I have to say the pain this time around is worse prompting me to fear possible spreading elsewhere but I won’t know until after the op so it’s a case of fingers crossed. 
    I would be happy to share anymore info you need or feel could help you in your situation. I understand I am quite unusual being 56 years old TC is normally a younger mans thing. Happy to help. 

• Thankyou for your message. I hope all goes ok for you. I it is horrible to think it might be happening to us again. Last time I had 3 rounds of BEP and it was horrendous. I’m back at work now and doing ok. I have a physical job as an Electrician and my worry is having to go through treatment again. It would be a very very long road to recover from. I’m going to try and get on with it for The next two weeks until I know more. I love my job and it’s keeping me sane at the moment. My boss is also being very good. Which all helps. I’m also here to chat to if you need it. I appreciate any advice or support from anyone. And I will always try to offer some words of experience if I can. 

Tony Soprano

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Tony soprano

Thanks Tony and sorry to hear that your previous experience was so bad. Whilst radiotherapy was only precautionary in my previous case and wasn’t the most pleasant experience it doesn’t sound anything like as horrendous as chemo so thoughts are with you. Anyway fingers crossed that your ultrasound brings you good news. I will update after my op to let you know how things go for me. I had about a 10 day wait for my ultrasound but perhaps living in Scotland means different NHS experiences. Fingers crossed