In shock

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi there,

Where to start. My husband for the last 5 years had noticed a slight swelling in his testicle which he choose to ignore and it continued to get bigger. Went to the gp a couple of weeks ago and got antibiotics then was sent for an ultrasound last week. Got called back to see the doctor to be told there is no testicle left and that it was actually a tumour and from the outside it looks like the size of a tennis ball.

We were both in shock as the doctor didn't hold back and said due to the time left untreated and the size of the tumour it will have spread. Since the speailist has examined the testicle my husband has been in alot of pain.

Next week is a ct scan, blood tests then surgery and they mentioned chemo. However we had to leave quickly and didn't get a chance to ask many questions as my husband started having a panic attack and ran out of the hospital. 

Just looking for help and advice to help him through this. The hospital have agreed to space the appointments out due to his mental health and have said they will give him something to control his anxiety ( something he has battled with for years)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good evening.

I bet you are both in shock.

Did you get given details of a clinical nurse specoalist?

They will be your tower of support to get you through this.

Also in between PLEASE sray off the internet other than macmillan website. Ring the helpline if you need to while you are waiting for all the pre op stuff to be sorted.

There are lots of people around to support you both. USE THEM!

• Hi Evie, 

So sorry you find yourself here but know that there is support from those of us who are there/ have been there. 

The most important thing to know is that testicular cancer is highly treatable and curable at any stage.The worst bit at the beginning is the waiting to know what you are dealing with but if you can just do life one day at a time, that will help you. 

The Drs are “on it”. The CT scan/ blood tests are being sorted. Just try to do today.

You WILL get through this. 

Take care. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for the quick reply. 

No we never got any details or information about a nurse. To be fair the hospital didn't get a chance to give us any details as I had to run after my husband. It was abit like when a small child runs away from you and no matter how many times you shout their name they don't stop running

• Hi Evie,

Really sorry you find yourself here, welcome.

You may or may not know the stats around TC.....but here they are...95% of us are here 5 years after diagnosis.  Current chemo regimes are so effective against TC that survival rates are the best of any cancer.  You might of heard of the footballer John Hartson, he was diagnosed with TC and it had spread to his brain.  He’s Still with us, on the television commenting on football.  If TC spreads to the lungs, it is not lung cancer, it is TC that has spread to the lungs, still very treatable.  My TC returned and had spread to my lungs, touch wood and all that, my last CT scan shows no sign of disease.

Macmillan have many ways of supporting patients, you should have access to a nurse, who you can ask about further support for your husband.

For many who are diagnosed with TC it turns out to be bump in the road, and the mental side of dealing with the diagnosis, waiting for results, scanxiety,  is the toughest part of having TC.

Accept the support offered by friends and family, they want to help, The carer of patients need to support too!

Use this forum, I have found it a massive help. Come back with the results of scans, histology  report, as lots of people on here will be able assist interpret the results .

take care

dan

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Odbball

Hi Dan

Thanks for replying. I am plannimg on writing down a list of questions to ask the nurses next week. Some of them my husband may not like me asking but I feel will be important. At the moment we are using humour to try and get through each day. 

He's admitted he's not worried about the TC it's the surgery that scares him the most and if he will need more depending on where it has spread.

Sorry to hear that it had returned, but good that your last ct scan showed no signs of it now.

I did read that the success rate is 95%

Evie