Personality changes after TC

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 12 subscribers

My husband is 7 years cancer free.  He had the surgery and then 4 rounds chemo.  Since that time and over the 7 years his personality has changed.  It has affected our marriage..... He is no longer the person I married.  Has anyone else has any psychological/personalty changes from the chemo that has lasted this long?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

When you are struggling after treatment it's very easy to forget the impact this has on the family around you.  I'm 8 years post treatment and are struggling with the testosterone replacement therapy which means I have very bad mood swings and are tired after a long day at work.

I often feel that I dont want to be at work and then on the way home I dread walking through the door to more stress and just don't seem to get any time to myself.

My fathers day card from the kids yesterday had on the front - you are 'grumpy but great' and this both made me laugh and also made me upset because I know that I'm moody with them and get so annoyed about small things that really don't matter.  

• Is counselling an option for your husband at this stage? My husband spoke to someone who had been through TC and recommended it to him.  I have heard it can be really beneficial. 

My husband only 8 weeks post chemo so not had his apt yet and also too early to say what effects are for him. 

Take care and hope someone on here able to help. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Spirited

He could go to counseling but doesn't think he has a problem.  We have even gone to marriage counseling last year but it didn't help anything.  Thanks for you input.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Has his testosterone levels been tested during any of the regular blood tests?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi,

I was thinking along the same lines. Some men who have had testicular cancer can suffer from low testosterone soon after or years later. This can affect men physically and can also cause low mood, depression etc.