BEP CHEMO

• 4 replies
  • 14 subscribers

My husband finished his 2nd cycle last Wed. Within 4 hrs he showed signs of intravenous sepsis. We called bleepholder and rushed back. He's been in the remainder of that week on antibiotics, which stopped on Monday. His block week started on Tuesday. They've been giving treatment through a cannula as they're not sure if picc line infection is gone.

I got a call tonight saying he was feeling unwell and going to assessment unit.

I then got this message...

Oh my word. I told a nurse that I'm concerned about how long I've not being on hydration now. A doctor came to see me briefly and said they have no beds to be able to put me on a drip. Nobody has read my notes, she wasn't aware of me being on ward, etc. She said about doubling the hydration rate for 4 hours then I go back to room with no hydration for four hours. I said I was concerned because of how I retain fluid, bla bla bla, had to fight my case. She's going to speak with the registrar. I said I feel I'll be at risk with double hydration and that all this is because the hospital can't find a bed for me for proper treatment as has been planned. 125ml an hour, of which I've not had now since 6pm.

This man, my wonderful husband is so lovely, so calm, positive and appreciative. What on earth can we do? He's just been hooked up 5 &1/2hrs later! Will this affect him or damage him? 

Many thanks!

• NellyNoo,

I’m so sorry to hear what your husband dealing with. 

I don’t know about effects/ potential damage but hope someone on here a bit more “ learned” in that  respect. 

Just wanted you to know that you and your husband in my thoughts ( and prayers if wanted) 

Finally, my experience of hospitals is that he who shouts loudest gets what he/ she needs. My husband retained fluid a lot and had to have a few debates about getting a tablet first thing to help with that so he could be able to go home in the evening ( after cycle 1, he had 4 x BEP also and finished in April). Don’t be afraid to say what you need. 

Your husband sounds like a mentally strong guy which is half the battle. 

Stay strong! We are with you! 

• Thanks so much. Fingers crossed for you both that he'll be okay and building himself up now. X

• Hi,

backing up what spirited says - with limited resources it is he who shouts loudest.  As I tell everyone at work when they tell me they can’t do something for me because they are doing something for someone else - that’s great, but it’s   all about me, so when am I going to get that piece of work??!!

And it’s even more so when we are receiving chemo.  It has to be all about your husband, don’t be afraid to question everthing, cause a bit of a fuss (in a nice way!).  I found I often knew more than the doctors who came to speak to me in hospital - often they hadn’t read my file.

fight your corner, it’s has to be all about you and your husband, if ever there was a time to be selfish it’s now.

take care, statistics  suggest this is just a bump in the road of life.

dan

• Thanks so much Dan. Very helpful.

Hope you stay clear from future bumps in the road. 

Take care.