Bit of a kick in the B****

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 12 subscribers

So, went to the docs 3 months or so as one of my testicles felt "wrong" had an exam at my GP's and the doc told me that he thought it was an epididymal cyst, and that it would probably cause no issues and may go away on its own, and that the "lump" wasn't on the testicle but with the pipework, i went away, but  i still wasn't comfortable with what i been told, over the next cpl of month it didnt go away and so i booked in with a 2nd GP for another check.

went back last thurs for 2nd check, GP didnt even give much of an examination, told me he was referring me for ultrasound and id get an appointment in the next 2 weeks,

30 mins later the ultrasound clinic was booking me in for the day after, 

went to the ultrasound on my own , popped out from work, naively expecting to be back at work in an hour, only to be quickly told that it was definitely a tumour and that id be having surgery for removal of the testicle as soon as possible, basically the entire testicle was one big tumour.

all a bit much to take in, and shell shocked, but had chest xrays and bloods done to check for markers and lung cancer and went away at the end of the day back to normal, my partner was on a flight home from holiday at the time of the appointment so was obviously shocked (if they hadn't sent me home with a leaflet she probably wouldn't have believed me) when i got home and delivered the news.

im in tomorrow for removal of my right testicle, just had the confirmation call from theatre.

im nervous of the surgery, but not overly concerned, its there, it needs to go, its going, get on with life.

im VERY nervous of the possibility of additional cancers and about chemo, etc, not least because im self employed.

my younger brother had a massive cancerous brain tumour and was extremely ill for a long time 7 year ago, radio left him with permanent debilitating illness.

i was very shocked when initially told, but that's got better, im also not keeping it secret, im  not shouting about it, but hiding it wont change anything, better to have peoples support than try and be some super human rock.

im finding it very hard to keep a brave face, its almost like everyone expects you to be positive and and "yeah, you got this!" when im alternating between being very pragmatic one minute and the next being absolutely S**t scared, almost to the verge of panic.

and it seems wrong that i should feel like this, im getting treated ( very quickly) i didn't ignore the problem, and i know if you have to play crappy cancer bingo i could be a lot worse off.

my partner and family are more upset than id initially, (again naively) realised,

outside i look fine, inside im bricking it.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Never good to welcome you here but glad you found this site you will find lots of great advice and friends. Firstly avoid google it will drive you crazy so please leave well alone. Statistically if your going to get this disease then this is one to get as high ninety percent chance of getting it sorted as loads on gear will testify. Treatment wise after operation good chance your done my friend or the option of a blast of drugs over one day, if it has spread to nodes outside then your looking at three rounds of treatment over nine weeks but lots of days during with no treatment just rest days. If treatment needed then it’s defo not fun but manageable but let’s not get  carried away just yet. So what do you have to look forward to we’ll you know about the operation which is normally walk in limp out with bit of discomfort for couple of weeks. Scan to check for spread during this time and waiting around for them to slice and dice removed one to discover what kind you had, there are couple of types all sortable but they need to know first. During this wait period you can either freak out like me or try and stay calm, I recommend the latter and wish I could chat to me back then as it defo was worst part. This my friend should be a bump in the road of your life and in a few months you will be able to be passing on same advice to others on here. Anything else you want to ask please remember we are here 

Dougie 

• Hi captain,

again, sorry you find yourself here, but welcome.

Your story reads much like mine, attended ultrasound on my own, effectively told I have cancer, and we’ll be in touch.  Ring my wife, leave a short voicemail  letting her know I (we) have cancer.  Then you have to tell the wider family, and selected friends.

You’re opening post in this forum suggests you are a well adjusted individual, and it’s normal to be overwhelmed at this stage. 

A few facts that eased mine, my wife and families minds.  95%+ of men diagnosed with TC are alive and well 5 years later.  If caught at stage 1 (confined to testicle, no spread) then the chances of being alive 5 years later is 101%. You stand a better chance for of being alive in 5 years if you had stage 1 TC!!  It’s because you will now have regular blood tests, medical reviews, which as a man you may not have bothered to do, cos as men we just don’t go to the doctors.  Example, I’m currently on holiday not drinking because blood tests showed I have a fatty liver.  I have smashed the booze since my chemo finished!

Even if it has spread, ct scans will determine, then treatment is so effective that over 90% of us are here 5 years later.  The journey varies to be in the 95%+ survivors.  The survival rates are even higher when excluding elderly patients who would be unable to take the treatment that cures.

if you have critical illness cover it will pay out, contact them and ask them what paperwork they require.

Use this forum, it helped and still helps me.  Read all the posts, see the success stories.

take care

dan

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

how did your surgery go? I hope you are doing well with recovery. It must have been a huge shock to you. I hope the posts on here help you . It’s an amazing forum. My husband is approx 8 weeks post surgery now and back to work.  Hopefully you will not need to be away from work for too long.

Best of luck with your recovery. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Quick update guys/gals

had surgery on Friday , all went as planned, in and out in the day and surprisingly chipper , turns out that was due to nhs anaesthetic lol

been pretty rough over the weekend , but as long as I was still I was fairly comfortable , got out the house for a bit on Saturday and Sunday and had a bbq for family on Sunday , my house I’m cooking :) 

it was very sore getting up and down but once up I could walk about ok , been on codeine all weekend but switched across to ibuprofen today and feel a lot better for it

today I’m back up and about pretty much as normal, my mobility is vastly improved, I can stretch and twist carefully 

be back at work tomorrow (self employed) I’m lucky enough to have a desk job , if I feel tired I’ll come home, but I’m not used to sitting about, even 2 days is doing my head in

pre surgery the surgeon told me they’d reviewed my chest X-ray and everything was good

they reviewed my bloods , and although they showed cancer markers they were low and in line with what would be expected with what they’ve discovered is pure semionoma testicular cancer

post surgery the surgeon told me that although large , the tumour appeared to be confined purely to the testicle and they were hopeful it wasn’t anywhere else, however due to the size of the tumour it’s likely I’ll havd to have further chemo, possibly the single hit type, but this will all be discussed with oncology

A very bizarre 10 days or so that saw me having to digest a lot of info very quickly 

a little discomfort in the testicle area and from the incision site , but mainly muscular discomfort from the abdominal wall , I’m not the fittest of fellas and at 18 1/2 st I take a bit of limping around but feeling surprisingly well though today, see what tomorrow brings

onwards and upwards 

• Captain,

The best bit of news I read there was “pure seminoma”.  There are various 50/50 outcomes along the way, confined to testicle or not is one, pure seminoma or mixed germ cell another.  Being pure seminoma puts you on the right side of perhaps the biggest 50/50, more important than being a stage 1 in my book, due to how much more effective chemo is against seminoma compared to against MGC tumours.

The op is really manageable, tender as expected for a few weeks, but all in all .....

Glad you are doing well, and keep winning those 50/50’s!

dan

• FormerMember

Hi Captain,

Pleased that your surgery went well for you are you making a nice seady recovery.  I had my right testicle remove on Tuesday (21 May) and making decent recovery.  Your experience reads very similar to mine and your updates have given me hope.  Im alternating painkillers at the moment so not too uncomfortable.

One thing that did shock me was the size of my wound, its 3” long!  Also my mood is up and down one minute very pragmatic and the next very down feeling like half a man :-(

Ive got to wait to see the Urologist in 3 weeks to find results of CT scan, blood tests and pathology.

All the best in your recovery.

• FormerMember

Venkman, 

thanks for your response, if anything like me it all seems a bit surreal, almost as if " did this just happen"  be careful about stopping the painkillers early, i dropped mine right back and had a bad nights sleep with a lot of tightness and soreness in my groin, i think keeping still for too long ( sleeping) doesn't help as now im back up and about getting up and down walking round and stuff im fine again.

ive a similar size wound, i did expect it though to be honest so want too shocked, my wound is healing nicely and causing me little to no discomfort.

as far as feeling like half a man, the way i see it there is a lot more to being a man than having a nut missing, honestly i expect 95% of people even on seeing it wont even notice, you need to come to terms with it in your own way and your own time but for me its not something that concerns me at all. ive much more serious body issues when i get my kit off, im 18 1/2 st for a start.

its me, its part of my story, i don't see it as a negative, and yup, everything down there still works in line with the manufacturers instructions, ive checked lol

chin up fella, its a lot to take in , in a very short space of time

• Hey venkman.

The body has 2 of most things for a reason, and we function perfectly on one. We are much bigger and better men as a result of going through this.

stay strong brother 

dan