Update on my husband

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi all,

My husband had his surgery approaching 3 weeks ago and has been recovering well.

We have now been informed that he has a PT2 classic seminoma. It has spread to a lymph node (borderline, enlarged to just over 1 cm). He will meet with the oncologist in just under a fortnight to discuss further.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Wishing you all well.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello that is definitely on the cusp of normal they may decide to wait and check again or opt straight for treatment. It would not be unknown for it to be that size due to infection but I think safer to speak with experts before getting hope up. 

Kind regards

Dougie

• Hi Sachs,

as a gambling man I’ll bet you get surveillance, it being pure seminoma.  Seninoma responds so well to chemo I think they’ll think surveillance will be acceptable.  But I guess be readied it might mean treatment at some point, but treatment cures 95%+ of seminoma cases.  

Take care

dan

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

my husband was diagnosed with pure seminoma a few weeks back. The MDT meeting recommended 5 years surveillance. We see the oncologist for the full plan in a couple of weeks.

Sending best wishes to you both x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for the replies.

We saw the oncologist today. Given the borderline lymph node involvement and being told that one course of carboplatin chemo (one massive dose administered by IV in one day) would reduce the risk of recurrence from 30% to 3%, my husband is going ahead with that option in about 10 days. If he doesn't have it now, we were told that if things do get worse then he will have to have a nastier chemo regime in more courses, so this seemed like the right option for him. We've had kids, so the risk of side effects to his fertility won't be an issue for us, fortunately. The other potential side effects are obviously unpleasant but we think this is the right decision for him at this time. We were then told a minimum of 5 years' surveillance following the chemo.

Any advice about carboplatin chemo would be appreciated, though my understanding is that it is tolerated differently by different individuals.

Let's hope we can get through it then put this behind us.

Hope everyone else is getting on ok.

Thank you x

• Everyone reacts differently but the good news is you keep your hair. I had mine when I was 35 years old and to be honest the only side effect I had was my vein in my arm went hard for a couple of days due to how cold the chemo was. I eat lots of red meat to build my cell count up when it was knocked out but I honestly didn't feel anything. 

When I had my bloods done to check my cell count the doctor said all good carry on. It was like I had never had it. I think most people just feel tired for a few days. One rule to follow is take the tablets they give you and take them at the times they tell you to. 

All the best.