Radiotherapy?

• 4 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I wish I found out about this forum earlier, I've found reading some of the threads so interesting in helpful so thanks for that! I'm 29 and don't know anybody who has been through this so it would've helped answer a lot of questions. I hope everyone's doing well in their journey.

I found a lump in June, went straight to the GP and was referred for an urgent ultrasound. I was then referred for an 'urgent' biopsy which was going to take 8 weeks. I couldn't live with the anxiety for that long so I tried going for a private consultation where I was told by the urologist that it's suspected that I have the dreaded.

Incredibly luckily, my urologist is also the surgeon who performs the orchiectomy and he had a space for surgery 3 days later on the NHS. I had blood tests at the consultation but the urologist told me surgery was the best course of action regardless.

I had the orchiectomy, everything fine. Around 2 weeks later I was told over the phone that it's a seminoma stage T2. I then had a CT scan last week, thankfully everything is okay.

I'm still waiting for my oncologist appointment, but I was told by the person giving me my CT scan results that radiotherapy will probably be advised with possibly some chemo too. After reading a lot of the threads on here, I haven't seen anything said about radiotherapy. Has anybody had this and how were you feeling afterwards?

I should've asked more questions at my appointment but my mind just went totally blank!

Thanks in advance

• Hi

Sorry to hear you have had to.join our club.

I am glad your diagnosis and surgery were sorted promptly.

As to the next bit... And bear in mind we are all different and hospitals and trusts do different things too... I am in the UK

My oncologist told me that they didn't do radiotherapy anymore following surgery. ( But this was to.me with a clear CT scan. If deemed necessary then it's chemo for the follow-up. He said they did do both radio and chemo in the past.  This was late last year.a

Hopefully your onc appointment will be soon and the Consultant will answer all of your questions and talk you through what comes next.

Someone else.may offer a view on here too...

Good luck

• Hey I’m sorry to hear you’re going through this I’m also 29 years old but been diagnosed with endometrial cancer I’m so anxious right now want to go private too. Who did you contact? 

• Hi mate, thanks for your reply. 

Interesting to hear about radiotherapy not being used anymore, as you say different boards have their ways of treating. I’m in North Wales so it sounds like it’s still used here.

Hope you’re doing well after everything, thanks again!

• Hi Kata, 

Thanks for your reply, sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I asked my GP to refer me to a private consultant and they got in touch with me the day after.

If you ask your GP, they should be able to put you in touch with somebody. If for any reason they can’t, try Googling what private hospitals there are around you and give them a call, they’re always so nice and happy to help! 
    For me, that one private consultation sped things up massively, I went through surgery about 9 weeks ago and if I stayed in the NHS I’d have only just had a biopsy. It’s definitely worth a try!

Good luck mate, hope everything gets sorted soon! Make sure you talk to somebody about how you’re feeling, it really does help. Here if you need a chat!