My 18 year old just diagnosed - seeking advice from young men about what to say/how to help

• 5 replies
  • 8 subscribers

My 18 year old has just been diagnosed; he had a lump for a while, initially treated as an infection, then with no change given an ultrasound last week which confirmed it is a tumour. He is booked in for an MRI and then surgery next week but the whole thing is so much worse because he's just moved 4 hours from home to start university. He arrived 3 days later than everyone else because of needing to see the Registrar at hospital. He isn't saying much about how he's feeling but I think he is feeling isolated. Not spoken to any other lads he said as its a large, quiet dorm.

I'm seeking advice from young men about what to say/how to help him. As his Mum I'm not able to reach him in the same way a bloke might, esp a young man who has had the same cancer.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

• Hi BlackCountryNewRoad Welcome to the forum and I am so sorry to hear about what has happened for your son, especially as he has just started university, so not an easy time anyway. If he does want to talk with someone he can call the MacMillan Line on 0808 808 0000 and they have a buddy scheme that they could discuss with him.  You could also have a chat with them as a parent supporting their son if that is of any help for you.  Your son would need to make contact with them re the buddy scheme if he is interested in this. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi. I would first suggest to him coming on here himself for when he has questions. This chat helps alot with helping to ease the mind. There's nothing you really need to say to him apart from being there to help when he needs it. After surgery is going to be a tough time for him so I would recommend to him to come back home for that period as he will have little movement for the first few weeks. So having someone to cook and clean around him will be a big help. After that if he feels up for going back to the dorm then that's his choice. Any specific questions you want to ask go ahead. I'll be about. I wish you and him all the best for the test results and hope he was like me and just has surgery and then surveillance. 

Best wishes andrew

• I will add that if you're going to get cancer then this is the best ( out of a bad situation) to get. His chances of a long fruitful life without issues is high.

• Thank you Gail, I will see if I can get him to make contact. He is a little bit in denial and not wanting to dwell on his situation, which is understandable, but he's quite isolated. He's not great at talking to me about how he's doing (few 18 year old lads are with their Mums, I know) so if he can be persuaded to get in touch with the buddy scheme that could be of help.

Do you know if there any videos or online forums specifically for younger males going through something like this?

Thanks.

• Thank you Andrew, that's very reassuring. i appreciate you taking the time to reply.