Tinnitus from testicular cancer treatment, any help?

• 4 replies
  • 9 subscribers

1. (reposting this in the appropriate section)

I was recently diagnosed with testicular cancer stage 2C, I think they called if. I had my first of 3 inpatient hospital stays last week and my first outpatient appointment is tomorrow.

I don’t entirely understand the different kinds of chemo but took a photograph of a booklet I was given when I initially got diagnosed, Etoposide and cisplatin are mentioned in it.

On Monday this week I noticed a distinct ringing in my left ear, I had had very mild tinnitus since I was 15/16 and lived with it but this has really disrupted my past few nights of sleep and taken a toll on me mentally.

For people who’ve gone through this treatment, did this ease up even somewhat once your treatment was completed? I am very scared about this, it might sound silly to some but I hope someone out there understands

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you're struggling with tinnitus since starting treatment. It isn't something I've ever had but I would imagine it's very unpleasant.

I've searched the group to see if there are any previous posts which mention tinnitus and found these for you to have a look through. You could then reply to any of the posters if you wanted to ask them any questions.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Masterfox

I hope your recovery is going well and you don’t feel too ill?

I had mild tinnitus in my 20’s (I’m now late 40’s) which was annoying enough for me to goto the doctors. It just went away after about a month. I had one shot of carboplatin last January which I realise is nothing compared to what you are going through, but it has brought it back. It is very mild though (not enough to keep me awake at night) and seems to happen once every couple of weeks. I’d say it is gradually going away so i’m sure yours will you eventually but i’m sure it was the chemo that triggered it. 

Good luck 

• If it weren’t for the tinnitus I would say I had hit the side effects jackpot, and of course it was the side effect I was most scared of too.

As it is I could learn to live with it but I still have two cycles to go, I don’t know if it’ll get worse or if it does by how much, and will it be temporary? My ability to stay asleep or sometimes even get to sleep is totally shot, easily the toughest part of my treatment so far.

• All the best mate. Wish I had some better advice!