Happened so fast!

• 21 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hello all, first of all, I just wanted to wish everybody well with their current situations. 

I’m 32 years old with a wife and a 10 month old son. 

In the last 10 days, this forum has really helped me along in what’s been the most scariest time of my life.

For the last couple of months I’d felt a dull ache and it wasn’t until last Tuesday after the bank holiday weekend that I felt it a little bit more than usual. I then had a feel of my testicle in the shower and felt what felt like the size of a pea.

Luckily I managed to get to the GP that day who felt it was inflamed and said he was going to refer me for an ultrasound scan but due to the current strikes it could take up to two weeks, being rather scared I booked in for a private ultrasound and luckily got in on the Thursday two days after my GP appointment.

The Dr who did my ultrasound said he thought it was either a tumour or an infection, and after he scanned my testicles he also scanned my stomach, sides, under ribs etc and said everything he had checked there looked fine which was a bit of a relief but still very scary he had found a probable tumour on my testicle.

After the GP went through the report with me, he told me things will now move quite fast, and wow haven’t they just! From his referral to the Urologist on the Friday, I had my bloods on Monday last week, another ultrasound and physical examination by urologist on the Thursday who confirmed it was probable testicular cancer and surgery the next day last Friday. She did confirm my bloods came back normal prior to surgery which hopefully is a positive sign. 

I feel relieved the surgery is now done and the testicle has been removed and also very fortunate and thankful the NHS moved so fast for me.

I have now been referred to a centre in Leeds to await my results and next steps.

After reading so many stories on here in the last 10 days or so, I wanted to post mine.  

Thank you for taking the time to read it!

• Hi and welcome to the group. Glad you were seen so fast. Take care on recovery and don't do anything too strenuous. Don't cough or sneeze either haha. Gives a good wack of pain. Other than that you will be fine. Hopefully your results come back good. I never had to do anything after surgery and that was over a year ago. Just on surveillance for a while. Any questions reach out. All the best mate

• Thanks so much for the fast reply Andrew and for your kind words mate.

Wish I’d had the cough tip a couple of days ago haha it doesn’t half hurt! 

Yep, just waiting for the results now and get on with whatever is next! 

Certainly a rollercoaster 10 days, still coming to terms with it I think!

• Proper rollercoaster you've been on! Thing is, hopefully you've been through the worst of it and in a way your fortunate that you've not had time to dwell on it. Personally, I waited about 6 weeks before going to the doctor about my lump. Convinced myself what it is was \ wasn't about 1000 times before finally realizing I had to book an appointment. I had zero symptoms and was stage 1 but due to rete invasion I opted to take a shot of chemo (carboplatin). I was given the option of this or surveillance. If I hadn't had the invasion (plus my tumour was small) I may have gone for surveillance but I was fully prepared (and educated from this site) to sign on the spot for chemo. I had my op on the 30th December 2021 and chemo in January 2022 so I'm well over a year gone now. My life is completely normal and as it was before this saga -  aside from the fact I now like a nap!

Good luck for your results and try to relax the best you can. Any questions please ask............

• Thanks mate, appreciate the reply and good to hear your story!

It’s the waiting stage now, trying to keep busy and recovering from the surgery but mind is still full with worry! Just hope the results are as positive as they can be. 

How long did you wait for your results post surgery if I may ask?

• It will be over before you know it and life will get back to normal. Sorry you didn't get the memo about the cough. That shit hit me sideways haha. Didn't take long for me to find out the results. A week tops I think. Just chill and play some playstation or watch films etc. Milk the fact you can't do shit and do sweet fuck all. These times are rare and you've got a valid excuse. Chin up lad

• No problem. I had the op on 30th December, follow up with oncologist on the 11th January (got results of cancer staging and bloods). Here is where I was told I was stage 1 and had a rete invasion. The staging etc is also determined by the size of the tumour (mine was fairly small 1.5cm I believe). I then had a CT scan on the 18th (you may have had this already). I then mdt with an oncologist a couple of days after where he confirmed no spread on CT scan and gave me my options. I had the Chemo on the 27th, in and out in 2 hours. I went private by the way. Also, I’m no doctor so please take any of my advice with a pinch of salt! 

• Thanks mate, just had my appointments through tonight one of which I think is a meeting with the Oncologist and the following one I’m guessing is a CT scan, in 2 weeks time!

• I think due to the risk of infection etc the doctors like to leave a gap of two weeks after the operation (to allow the wound to heal) before being exposed to radiation / chemo. I found this wait annoying until I was told the reason! ……..Hopefully you’ll just have a ct scan and surveillance but either way you’re in good hands now. 

• Do you know what I can expect at the next appointment post surgery?