Waiting for Ultrasound

• 22 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Just a quick update - I've received confirmation of my ultrasound appointment which will be going ahead next Thursday. Not worried about the appointment itself - just worried what the results will be. But at least I'm being seen without delay, and I'm glad I didn't wait before going to my GP. Just a matter of waiting, now... and hoping.

How long should I expect to wait for the diagnosis? Around two weeks?

• Hi, . Hope you don't me asking, but when you say you had a call from your doctor, do you mean your GP or someone at the hospital?

How did the recent ultrasound go, by the way? Hoping all went well?

• Hi! The GP who ordered gave me a call the same day. The tech takes the US, the radiologist (usually separate room) reviews it. When radiologist has all he needs, he sends info to the GP. Now I have a urologist since I had TC and he is the one sending me for CT and US. So I assume I would get a call from him instead. Ultrasound is today (Yesterday was pre visit to ensure no torsion or something urgent) GL!

• Good luck, my freind. Here's to hoping everything goes well for you. Stay in touch.

• I have my US tomorrow. Oh lordy...

• The wait is the worst. Hang in there, try to do things to get your mind off of it. Be with friends / family when the results come. And remember, regardless of results, the odds are massively in your favor. Bump on the road. Hope you get the results the same day. For me it went from pain, to WTF I have a lump to easy peasy surgery (literally LOVED the post-anesthesia high) to waiting for CT results (stress again) to normal life 2 weeks later. Worst case, it's couple months of treatment... Just remember, you are taking care of something treatable!!!! 

• Thanks, . Yeah - I talked to a mate that was in the same situation a few years ago - he told me that for him, the very first US results was in many ways worse than anything else - because that's the one where you get the 'yey-or-nay' confirmation as he puts it. Made me feel a little less embarrased for being so stressed out at such an early stage when I don't even know if there's anything to worry about yet.

I also spoke to someone who got himself in such a state he ended up making himself very ill - and it turned out the lump he found was just a cyst. 

You're right about the onset, though - for some strange reason, I allways invision situations like this slowly creaping up on me. But I, too, was just laying there, minding my own business when BAM - lump! Before I had even had time to think about it, I was sitting in my doctor's office while she was booking in my US via the two-week pathway. I just remember standing outside the surgery thinking to myself "What the heck just happened?" I went from not having a care in the world, so to speak, to hospital appointmrnt in the blink of an eye. 

I didn't even know anything about TC before then. I just went to bits. Thankfully, thanks to places such as this and great people like yourself, I'm a bit more clued up now.

• OK... so... I was told I had a cyst on my 'tubes', and was also told the tissue (which I presume is in reference to my testicular tissue) appeared to be normal. I was advised to call my doctor in a weeks time to discuss what she (my GP) would like to do next. I'm presuming this is good news? I think the person who carried out the scan wasn't just a technician as there was another person in the room who I think was. I didn't like to ask, but she seemed very authoritive and had no hesitation in telling me everything in a very straight forward and matter of fact way.

• A cyst would be the best news. They are harmless (and usually painless but if they push against a nerve etc could hurt I guess). The second person was probably the radiologist/doctor who is the only one allowed to review and analyze the scans. The technician (although likely could tell) is not allowed. Hope it's all confirmed to be a cyst but wait for GP appointment (I am obviously NOT a doctor LOL). 

• Thanks, . Bit of an update. My GP just called and pretty much confirmed what I was told in the hospital - they detected either one cyst or or cluster of very small ones. They've recommended I have another US in around three months time (not sure why, maybe this is standard follow-up procedure?) I outright asked the doc if there was anything to sugest cancer, and she said no - I also told her that I was advised at the hospital that 'the tissue was normal’ and she confirmed this. I can't be 100% certain, but I thought I heard her refer to cyst(s) as 'simple,’ which I'm familiar with. But I guess this all means there's no serious cause for concern on all fronts.

• So here we are - three months on, and I have my follow-up ultrasound appointment at 14:05 this afternoon. Different hospital this time. My appointment was originally schceduled for 10:00, but I had a call from the hospital yesterday to say that the person who was going to do the scan has called sick and asking me if I'd mind shifting it to accomodate.

I haven't given anything down there much thought since my original scan. The doctor who called me with the results advised me that the urologist had 'recommended' a follow-up scan in three months. The doctor advised it was just what it says on the tin - a follow up; a check to make sure everything's still ok; to see if anthing's changed.

So, like I said, here we are. I'm a natural worrier, so I'm a little... well... worried - LOL. Dispite the doc's assurances, I don't know of anyone else that has had the same diagnosis AND had a follow-up scan - usually, from what I've been told, it's a scan with diagnosis and that's it; 'call us if anything changes,' etc. The doc described it as a 'simple cyst' on the epididamis (sorry if I've spelt that wrong), which presents as typical - so why the recommendation for a follow-up scan, I wonder? If there was any doubt about the original diagnosis, surely they would have taken action straight away, right?