AFP

• 4 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi

A short backgorund: 3.5 years ago I was diagnosed with a seminoma and right testicle was removed.

Since then onward, AFP marker was always < 2, this is how it appears in the blood test results.

On December 2020 AFP, MRI and all other things were normal.Meaning AFP < 2.

On March 2021 I took 2 Covid vaccinations. I didn't talk to my oncologist before that but regarding the 3rd vaccination, he told me to wait with the 3rd one for after the next surveillance on December 2021.

I didn't do any AFP nor MRI after the vaccinations until now.

Today I received my blood tests and AFP is now 2.23. You'll might say this is nothing to worry about but my worry is of 2 things: vaccinations and process, meaning, now it's 2.23 but because it was always < 2, becoming now >2 might mean a higher value later on, as time will go by.

In the explanation to the AFP results it says that increasing and decreasing are signs of illness getting better/worse accordingly, Is there anything I can hang to, to calm my nervousness at the moment? I might be able to talk to my oncologist only next week and I really worry now.

Thanks

• Hi . I'm sorry to say I can't really help as I've a different type of cancer but if I were you I'd be on the phone to my Oncologist for reassurance.

You could alternatively rephrase your question to something along the lines of "Did anyone's AFP markers change after Covid vaccinations?" Perhaps one of the members here may be along to chat and offer their experiences.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Hugs, B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Your rephrase of the question is better than mine, that's for sure.

I wrote about Covid vaccination just because this is the only "different" thing, health related, that happened to me this year. I have no idea if the change was really because of that or not.

I talked to my oncologist and she told me to re-check it in 2-3 weeks again.

• Hi Good to hear you talked to your Oncologist. If they've told you to come back in 2 - 3 weeks they don't seem to be over-worried. It's us the patients climbing the walls in the meantime!

All the best, hugs, B x

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• I (the patient) will feel the effect if there's a problem so the patient is always more worried than the doctors.

Actually, talking to her didn't comfort me in anyway, it just means to wait for 2-3 more weeks with this tension.

I was hoping to hear whether other people had this effect in general or as a cause of the Covid vaccination and in the meantime, no sign for that.