No markers in blood test following ultrasound

• 8 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi there,

My husband has an operation booked to remove the testicle shown on ultrasound to have solid mass most likely to be cancer. He also is having a CT scan due to aching and lowercback pain. We waited with anticipation for today's blood test results. They came back normal. He was advised that this does not mean there is no cancer and also that some cancers would have shown in a blood test. Does anyone have any insight into what a normal blood test can possibly mean? At this stage we are non the wiser and know the operation will give more answers.

Thanks and best wishes

• Hi, I‘m sorry about your husband’s diagnosis.

I had stage 1 Seminoma and my blood test results didn’t show any markers. So the blood tests may not be conclusive in themselves.

If the ultrasound has shown a mass then the surgery for removal and then the subsequent biopsy will show what type of tumor it is. The CT scan will also reveal more.

The treatment post-surgery for testicular cancer is very manageable so while I fully understand your worries, please know that this is a highly treatable cancer.

Best, Kevin

• Hi

I was similar to maczorro. Some tumors secrete detectible chemicals into the blood stream and some don't. I was also pure seminoma. My blood tests did show a low level of tumor markers, but on their own they wouldn't have been high enough to cause concern or result in a cancer diagnosis. 

Try not to worry. The surgery isn't nearly as bad as you would imagine and it will give you the answers.

Best wishes

G

• Hi there field maple, when they remove the testicle they do a histological report. This report helps give insight into the type of tumor whether its a seminoma or non -seminoma. It will also show whether there has been invasion into surrrounding tissue. Typically non-seminomas more aggressive(this is the type I have) , seminomas tend to be slower growing and usually don't show much elevated readings- typically they test for LDH, Beta HCG and AFP-with AFP being the prime suspect for non-seminoma that will show up in blood works. I think the other members are right it may be a seminoma which is highly treatable. I know it must be difficult but the histological report will give a clearer picture. I want to share some youtube videos that I found interesting with you. Here are the links https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y5w-poae1Qhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7VyLkLU_o&t=1470s. They're a bit long but worth a watch. Wishing your husband all the best and for a quick recovery.

• Hi there,

Thank you so much for your message. I haven’t replied as there were issues getting on the site and we’ve had COVID. This was super stressful as it put delays on the op and now it’s been a month since finding out.

Thanks that’s confirmed what we gaged. Thanks for the link too. 

Hope your treatment goes well and all the best for your recovery.

Best Wishes

• Hi Kevin,

Thanks so much for your message, tech issues and COVID have meant struggling to reply to messages and worse delays on the operation.

Really appreciate your message thanks so much.CT scan is on Saturday and feeling hopeful after all these stories that we can manage this. 

many thanks

• Hi there I think my messages aren’t sending sometimes. 

id not been on here for a while as the site want allowing me and we’ve been ill with COVID. Stressful as delayed operation.

i want to say that I really appreciate your message and I’m feeling hopeful hearing these reassurances. His CT scan is on Saturday.

Many Thanks 

• Hi there field maple, its completely understandable with what you're dealing with. I am now seeing your messages and I have to apologize as well, this 4th cycle hit me like a tonne of bricks so it has been hard to keep in touch with people. I am praying for your husband everyday and hoping for the best outcome. COVID is really awful you know, I really hope that the surgery can proceed ASAP. I have been browsing another testicular cancer forum and got an email for Dr. Lawrence Einhorn. He is the person that came up with the cure for testicular cancer and is world renowned. I emailed him about my condition and he got back in touch with me. I feel its a blessing to be able to communicate with him so I want to share his email with you. leinhorn@iu.edu 

•   curious what the end results were? I too have surgery on Monday and my tumor markers have shown nothing. Idk if my mind is playing tricks on me with a few aches here and there or not? I was lucky enough to get a CT scan pre surgery which has came back normal as well. So just curious what your husbands end results were? Hope all is well, thanks!