Struggling with the thought of Chemo

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 11 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi, I’m 30 years old at the start of November I found a lump which was attached to my left testical, hard to explain but the bottom of it felt fine but as you moved to the top it turned really hard and bumpy.. doctors tried fobbing me off and wouldn’t see me due to COVID etc... I started to get a dull ache from that area so I went to A and E. after numerous examinations they sent me down to get an ultrasound and later that day a consultant told me the news I was dreading. 

I had the operation 10 days later which removed my left testical. Operation went well and a CT scan confirmed it hadn’t spread any were else which was a relief. However they sent the testical away for testing and confirmed I had a T1 aggressive cancer and I will need chemotherapy to kill off anything left behind.

physically I’m well and recovered from the surgery however mentally Im struggling. I live with my fiancée and 3 young children, I’m the sole bread winner (so to speak) as my other half is looking after the children. I’m worried that the chemotherapy will stop me working and make me quite ill, I’m not worried about losing my hair and that, does anyone know if il have to shield away from my family while I’m having treatment, will I still be able to work. 

Everyone in my family just keeps telling me to stay positive and everything will be ok but after the last few months I’ve turned very negative and finding it hard to see a “normal” future. Is the above normal to feel?? 

thanks 

• How many cycles of chemotherapy are you getting. Is it BEP you are getting? It is usually 3 days or 5 days as inpatient then the following 2 Tuesdays is a day injection. That’s one cycle complete. If it’s only one cycle of chemotherapy you should be fine after a few weeks for work etc but the more cycles you do the sorer it becomes on you & your body. It’ll depend on the type of work you do as well. I had 4 cycles BEP 5 days as inpatient each time my TC had spread to lymph nodes & lung. Started my chemo in august & finished my chemo start of November. Feeling ok now but still be out of breath but this was caused by lung damage caused by the chemo bleomycin. Each person has different reactions to it. I’ve heard of people struggle from first day of chemo with sickness etc but tbh other than hair loss & tiredness in the later cycles I found it ok.    

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Mcdcel

I have a phone consultation on Tuesday to discuss type of chemo and how long for. I work for a removal company as a HGV driver so a lot of heavy lifting and on my feet for 12-18 hours a day. 

Did you have to self isolate from august to November due to having the treatment? 

• When I left hospital I went home and stayed at home. Went to my parents house some sundays for dinner etc. But because the chemo puts your immune system through the floor you’ll be advised to stay at home during the treatment due to covid 

• Hi and sorry about your situation, but the good news is that your cancer was caught early and the chances are very high that your life will be back to normal in a few months.  If you're lucky you might just be advised to have a single cycle of carboplatin like I did. The treatment is relatively ok to endure, but any chemo is going to be complicated with your work and family situation. If you do get the single cycle of carboplatin you won't be able to work like you have been for at least six weeks, and you will be very vulnerable to disease and infection for at least 3 weeks. You and your family will need to isolate together as a minimum. So it will get complicated, but just focus on the fact that you will be ok, and at your age the treatment probably won't have any long term effects on your life.

Best wishes

G

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I’m 50 and I too had Testicular cancer in November. I had the surgery 3 weeks later but got a couple of infections which slowed my healing process. I have at last had my single blast of carbostatin chemo this week.

3 days in and I’m feeling drained but just walked a mile with the dog and feeling better. Mine was a “belt and braces” as they said. 
    I started reading and researching but there were so many variants I stopped.

I think if you are so young and already fit and active you will smash through the chemo.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

How are you feeling now if you don't mind me asking. I'm 57 and had testicle removed 22 Dec and looking at a single dose chemo in nxt couple of weeks as tumour was bang on 4cms. Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi, I’m feeling close to normal now 9 days in. Day 4 to 7 were the hardest but every day is 100% better now. 
    Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello, 

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I felt the exact same, will life be normal again? how do you cope financially? will he be bed bound the next 6 months? Honestly, the treatment was not what i expected. I expected it to be like the movies where he would be stuck in bed all day too lethargic to move but it wasn't like that. The first week after the chemo he was tired, but not so tired he wasn't able to get up shower/change clothes etc. He had good days and bad days but luckily experienced no vomiting just mouth ulcers. To answer your questions, he didn't have to shield from me living in the same house hold. When he first had his chemo shielding advised from the government had stopped so he was able to go out to shops etc (with a mask). I wouldn't advise working if it includes heavy lifting as you will be tired, would they allow you to do admin?. Please ask if there are any funds you can apply for to help you financially. My partner gets 'chemo brain' most days, he just cant think as fast as he normally does and is foggy sometimes but that gets better as treatment goes on. 

I hope this helps, hope all goes well got you. 

• Hello,

wondered how everything went, I’m at the deciding point wether to have one bout of carboplatin or active surveillance my tumour was 3 cm and the was some rti…. Wondered how everyone felt after one bout of carboplatin my oncologist seems to think i would be fine within a week, I’m back to work now for the last week which was great!! Don’t want to have too much more time off. Decisions decisions 

• Fine within a week is a bit unrealistic. Your system's nadir (low point) isn't until day 11, but most people do start feeling better a bit before that.  What kind of work do you do? If it's anything really physical or manual then allow 3 or 4 weeks, but you still won't be 100%.  But it isn't too bad.  Like a long hangover.  But you need to do a bit of work afterwards to get your energy and fitness back.

Best wishes

G