Stomach Cancer diagnosis after a year of tests scans etc.

• 8 replies
  • 30 subscribers

I was diagnosed with cancer in the bottom of my stomach in late February 2024 Since then I have had a laparoscopy and two scans plus PET scan last week. Now awaiting the report back to me of where we are in terms of needing chemo before or after op to remove 2/3 of my stomach. It’s only today that I have felt super stressed and sad about what is happening to me.Any suggestions? 

• Sounds like a very convoluted road to the diagnosis, so sorry for you. Hopefully now they have all the info the MDT will pull up their socks. 

• Yes it was because scans did not pick it up at all -only the biopsy on finding the stomach ulcer did and then not strongly. Should be hearing tomorrow what the plan is. I had hoped to not need chemo before the op but let’s see. Thank you for replying 

• They really like to give chemo pre-op, unless you are 75+ I think.

My husband really hoped not to need it, because the scan showed no lymphatic nodes impacted, but here he is, sitting in the middle of cycle 2 of FLOT, exhausted already. :( 

• Oh dear I understand. Just not easy is it. I wish you both the best as we face this struggle. Best Wishes. 

• Yes my husband who was 79 at the time of his TG didn’t have chemo at all, his hospital doesn’t give it for over 75s but some hospitals do, it’s the same for Osophagus cancer as well, He was stage 3 with no lymph nodes involved, doing ok 15 months later x

Sue Xx
  • That’s really encouraging. Best Wishes to you both - long May it continue 

• Hi

Welcome to our group, you will find lots of support here! Your diagnosis is very similar to mine.  I had stomach cancer five years ago and had chemo and a partial gastrectomy.  I now live a normal life, eating and drinking as before although smaller portions!

It is a lot to come to terms with but there is a lot of information on the Oesophageal Patient Association is a good place to start 

https://opa.org.uk

Do post questions here and there are lots of positive experiences!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• I wrote a Blog of my treatment that you may find helpful. Click on my name to read it.  
    Like you there was a debate at MDT as to whether I should have chemo before surgery.

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!