Stomach removal

• 17 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi I’m due to have my stomach removed on the 4th of April and I’m absolutely scared. I’m worried about the operation, hoping the outcome is good. Worried about afterwards with learning to live without a stomach… I’ve been out walking every day to get my fitness up after chemo and to help with recovery.

Has anybody got any advice on how to cope… thank you!! 

• Hi

I don't have the experience you're looking for but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet.

I did a search in the group to look for previous posts which mention 'removal' and found these for you to have a look through. You could reply to the more recent posters if you think they can help you further.

I'm 'tagging' as I noticed that they mentioned that their dad had had his stomach removed so hope that they might pop in and tell you about how their dad has coped since.

Wishing you all the best 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi, thank you so much this is great to read. 

Michele 

• Hi

I had a partial gastrectomy three years ago and would assure you it’s not as scary as you think!  I lead a normal life and just eat smaller portions!

I found the Oesophageal  Patients Association really helpful before and after the operation 

https://opa.org.uk

I wrote a Blog about my recovery which you can read if you click on my name.

Getting as fit as possible is great so well done!

If you have any questions just send me a PM or post on this site.

Good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi, thank you for your reply, much appreciated. I’m hoping for a normal life eventually too. 

I will read your blog. 

Michele 

• Hi Vespa. Completely natural to be scared but you’ll be in great hands and is now a common procedure for your surgeon to carry out. Try not to think about it too much, recovery afterwards is OK just don’t be too hard on yourself, be patient and have lots of rest - sleep is a great healer.

I’m now 7 months post op, back at work, feeling great and had a date night with my Wife last weekend and got through two mojitos, steak, chips, peppercorn sauce and a cream filled meringue for dessert !

Be positive, it makes a huge difference and you will be fine !

• Hi, 

Thank you for your message, it’s lovely to hear this positivity it’s cheered me up no ends. That’s fantastic you enjoyed a date night with your wife!! 
    Thank you again! 

Michele 

• No worries at all … and all true. There is light at the end of the tunnel, just stay positive and keep walking forwards. You will get back to eating out, enjoying life and don’t under estimate how amazing the human body is with your small intestine stretching into a pseudo stomach over time and your capacity to eat more and more on portion sizes increasing all the time !

• Thank you! I’ve been positive all the way so far and will continue. I don’t think more than a couple of times a day I’ve got cancer, I’ve just got on with it! 

Michele 

• And this is why you shouldn’t be scared of the op … as you’ll be able to wake up the other side of it and say ‘I haven’t got cancer anymore’ a couple of times a day !