Stomach cancer surgery in two days!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi,

My 39 year old wife was diagnosed with Stomach cancer a week before Christmas. First week was a shock, second week was about accepting reality, third week - no more tears just trying to think positive and be brave for the Operation which is in two days time. 

Can anyone share any experience about their post op? What type of infections were regular etc? Best way to recovery quickly? Gosh...so many questions that are flying through our minds. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

• Hi

The lead up to the op was the hardest for me so I can understand how you are feeling. I had a partial gastrectomy two years ago and recovered really well. I wrote a Blog and you can find it by clicking on my name above.

Eating after the op was the most difficult bit and I was really careful as it’s easy to use at too much.  I got great advice from the Oespheagal Patients Association 

https://www.opa.org.uk/downloads.html

Tiny amounts at first I bought a small plate and started off with a cupful when I came out of hospital.  High protein soft foods so things like porridge, eggs , avocado, baked potato..

This Forum was a great support so do ask any questions you have.

I was back at work on a phased return after six weeks and now live a normal life!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jacquiw10

Many thanks for your response. The Operation went well. Now the long tough road to recovery begins!