Happening too quickly

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 23 subscribers

Hello. My husband is 51. We have been together since the age of 16, 35 years and married 27 years. He was absolutely fine in October, went to the GP in November with an upset stomach. On 20.12.19 a camera found stomach cancer. He had a CT scan on 27.12.19 and yesterday we were told he has stomach cancer that has spread to his stomach cavity and liver and there is nothing they can do to treat it. He’s unlikely to even be able to have chemotherapy as his liver is too damaged.  Palliative care only and he’s lookIng at months not years. I just cannot believe this. It’s happening too quickly.  I took him in a wheelchair today for a blood transfusion and iron infusion.  We are due to see an oncologist soon to hear more details about any treatment options and timeframes. What do I need to ask the oncologist?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear , I am so sorry to hear your recent news, you must both in a state of shock. When you see your oncologist my advice would be to talk about the intention of any treatment you are offered, is it designed to be life extending treatment or purely palliative which is not designed to treat the underlying disease but to minimise symptoms of the progression of the cancer. The reason this is important is you may want to balance quality of life against any possible side effects from chemotherapy. There is some evidence that patients who are terminal live 25 % longer when treated palliatively than those you have intrusive treatments that don’t guarantee an increased overall survival. Obviously these are very personal decisions but are better made if they are informed ones, so be prepared to ask difficult questions the answers to which you may find upsetting. I have knowledge of end of life care so please feel to make me a friend and I can talk to you by private message if you prefer.