Mums body is fighting her

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 23 subscribers

hello everyone. 

I cant sleep.

My mum was diagnosed 3 years ago one month with stage 4 stomach cancer. She is now 69

She has had ECX, platform trial, Paxlitaxol Chemos and completed them all 6 month cycles each and managed to keep her hair though thinned through the years with the last one resulting in a 13 month break from treatment, surgery was never an option as it had spread to the lining of the stomach they said. Recently some growth was shown so she started again but this has knocked her side ways, with rapid weight lost and loss of appetite anyway but more extreme. 

Its important to note my mum is a fighter and has a get up and get on with it attitude. It has only been within The last two months that she has slowed down and gotten more and more tired.

She was very lucky to not have experienced much side affects that immobilised her, the usual, dryness of hands, tingling of feet, numbness, tiredness, dehydration occurred at some point.

During the year of stability she started vomiting and experiencing diarrhoea, they put a stint in her STomach in june 2019.

After this 4th chemo beginning with T in December, we noticed the same symptoms again, and no diarrhoea, it took a while and they have now found out she has a blockage in her bowels, they believe its the cancer pressing against the tube, hence why nothing is staying down and why she has no appetite or passed any stools. 

Mum has lost so much weight, a lot weaker but still optimistic, moving around as much as possible and not in any pain just uncomfortable, her mind is still sharp.

they are saying nothing can be done, surgery is not an option, chemo no longer on the table, this is a tricky situation to be in, and everything will have to be given intravenously from now on, saying it could be days, weeks or months they don't know.

You can imagine going into hospital and being told this on Christmas eve was heartbreaking.

i am asking now what do i do? Before we had a focus and it was lets get through this treatment, one step at a time. I feel at a lost, its one day at a time but is this it now? She is still hopeful and says maybe ill be able to have a new year drink and it will unblock itself. I dont know what to say.

doctors say the next few days are crucial, if she comes home extra help will be needed.

My parents both live with me, and my two kids 8 and 5. My 5 year old son is deeply attached to my mother. I cant think about dealing with that issue at the moment but he knows nanny is unwell.

Side note, my father has stage 4 prostate and bone cancer as well as dementia but he is doing very well just not very mobile at all. He was diagnosed January 2019. 

my mum is my best friend. My rock. Ive informed her family of this new development, she is the oldest of 16 now ( close irish family)  and that was hard, that is what makes me feel vulnerable and emotional, seeing the sadness in my aunts eyes and hearing the ‘ i am sorry’s ‘ they are supportive but its generally just been my mum, younger sister and me. 

We are both so proud of her strength through everything.

Any advice on what comes next would be helpful. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear there comes a time in the life of some cancer patients when there are no further treatment options and it’s time to prioritise symptom control and quality of life, that’s what palliative care is in its purest form. As prognosis is difficult to predict in individual cases you have to take things day by day and focus on creating a environment they enables the patient to maintain their independence for as long as possible. I admire your mothers fortitude to deal with three years of treatment and face each day with a positive attitude. Now is the time to give her all the support you can so you can enjoy the time she has left and create happy memories together as a family. When the time is right it would be a good idea to talk about where your mum would like to receive her end of life care, so her wishes can be respected. None of this is easy but once you shift the priority from treatment to providing comfort and care things will be easier to cope with.

• Please look up Essiac tea available from arupa.swiss

Debra
    Stomach cancer survivor
    There is always hope, you just need to open your eyes and heart Slight smile