Dad just been diagnosed and don’t know what to expext

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 23 subscribers

hi there, my dad who is 70 has just been diagnosed with stomach cancer. He was rushed to hospital for an emergency laparotomy for a stomach perforation apparently due to a cancerous ulcer. They took biopsies from the surrounding tissue and he had a scan. We have been told his cancer is inoperable as it has spread through his stomach and I think to his peritoneum.  He has now been discharged home and has an oncology appointment on the 13th November. We have not been told what stage cancer it is or prognosis. He is due to have a stent to help as at minute he can’t eat although he has no appetite and no tastebuds and we don’t know when that is planned. At minute his nutrition is from ensure drinks. Chemo has been mentioned but I’m at wits end as don’t know what to expect. Has anyone experienced this? I don’t know if the surgeon should have told him his staging, if it’s normal to have such a late oncology appointment? We don’t live in the same city and getting information has been really difficult despite going to see him in hospital due to confidentiality. He does not know who he should speak to with any concerns prior to the 13th. Any advice would be so welcome as I am so worried about him. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

Having not had any experience with stomach cancer myself I can't help with your questions. However, I noticed that you'd also posted in ask a nurse and wondered if you'd seen the reply from nurse Ellen. If not clicking here will take you directly to it.

I don't want to alarm you but could I urge you to take a look at it straight away as she has said "Because you’ve said that he is struggling now with his drinks and he still passing black stools, it’s important that he lets his doctors know this today so that he can be reviewed again."

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lin

I’m so sorry to hear about your Dad, I found the waiting for a plan very difficult and upsetting. 

personally my cancer was not staged until after surgery when a full pathology report was carried out, however I do know that if a cancer has spread to other organs and is inoperable they tend to class as stage 4, I don’t have experience of this myself but I have read posts by other stage 4 patients and caters that there are available, Maybe research HIPEC, I’m not sure it’s availability in this country but it might be worth a look. 

I am sorry you’re going through this, hopefully someone will be along soon with advice. 

lou x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Lou

thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Not having the answers and not knowing what is the ‘normal ’ process is so difficult. I will look into HIPEC. 

I hope you are doing well with your treatment 

Lin x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you Latchbrook. I will look now. 

Lin