Total Gastrectomy?

• 21 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi again guys,

Had my laparoscopy yesterday and the results were an all clear - no sign of any spread of my stomach cancer on the outside of my stomach or surrounding lymph nodes or organs.  I still need an MRI next week for my liver before my final prognosis and treatment plan.

However, the docs were very up front in telling me I am definitely going to have a total rather than partial gastrectomy due to the difficult position of my cancer and the obvious need to be quite aggressive in what they remove.  I was really hoping it would only be partial so it was a little bit of a kicker.

I’d be interested in hearing people’s experiences in how they coped with this, how their lives have changed, issues etc?  I’ve already been told to exercise less and to “chub up” a bit!

Thanks in advance :-)

• Hi

That’s good news! I wrote a Blog of my experiences as reading other posts and blogs on this Forum really helped me.

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/members/jacquiw10/blogs#pi10596=1

I would agree that getting as fit as possible and eating really well are very important.

I did have a partial gastrectomy with 85% of my stomach removed! Who knew you could live a normal life without a stomach but you can!

I honestly don’t notice much difference but I wasn’t a big eater before!

I researched a lot on what to eat and that helped but above all hearing and sharing experiences on this group was the best support!

So keep posting and asking questions, there are some really positive stories to help you!

Good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Andy. I had a total gastrectomy in August 15. Your head will be spinning at the moment  with all kinds of thoughts and fears going through your head. I can honestly say that although it was a big operation it wasn’t as bad as I had thought it would be. Before my operation I tried to keep relatively fit by walking which helped post operation. I now lead a very similar life to the one I led before. We go on holiday both over here and abroad, I go out regularly to restaurants, all things I couldn’t imagine when I was first diagnosed. It may be an idea to contact the Oesophageal Patients Association (OPA). They will send you out an information pack which I found invaluable at the time. Where are you having your operation? I was really fortunate in that I had a good network of family and friends which really helped me to get through my illness. You will get lots of support on this forum or if you wish to msg me please feel free to do so. I convinced myself that the day I had my operation was the day I could start getting better and thankfully this was the case for me. Keep in touch and let us all know how you are getting on. 

Take care

Donna. Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Andy

I had stage 3 stomach cancer with no nodes or spread involved and was also told I would have a total gastrectomy as the margins around the tumour were very narrow and would need to be dealt with aggressively. However, once in theatre, the surgeon was able to save a very small part of my stomach so there is still a small chance and I have my fingers crossed for you.

I too tried to build up my stamina and weight pre op and I managed to put on 1/2 stone on my pre chemo weight. I came through surgery very well and was out in 5 days but the surgery plus post op chemo did a number on my weight. That 1/2 stone weight gain was a blessing as without it I would have required a feeding tube (something that was dangled over my head at every appointment) despite not having a full gastrectomy. I still struggle with putting any weight on and am still extremely skinny 6 months post op so any additional weight you can gain now will benefit you down the line. 

Sending positive vibes and lots of luck your way

Karen

• Thank you for the responses all, very positive. :-)

Any common themes where you’ve had to avoid certain things, or advice on what to look at eating shortly post-op?  A few people have mentioned the OPA so I’m going to contact them for sure.  I’m just trying to get as much first hand information as I can and not just rely on dieticians.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback you’ve given me, you guys are ace.

• Hi

I found the OPA leaflet on life after a Gastrectomy really useful.  I also read the book Eating after a Gastrectomy. 

My focus was on high calorie/ high protein foods to try to get the calorie intact up as it is small meals six times a day.  It is trial and error especially in the early days.  Not eating and drinking at the same time was important so you weren’t too full.  I avoided sweet things for the first few months as I worried about dumping syndrome but it never happened to me and I can now eat sweet things.  

I did find that I didn’t get advice in hospital and was really glad I had read up beforehand .   Small portions at first as you don’t know how much you can eat.  I used about 4/6 tablespoons as a guide and a small plate in the early days.  

Soft Foods like porridge, eggs and avocado was a good staple!

Happy to answer any questions!

Jac

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Andy_C

Hi Andy

great to hear there has been no spread that’s a really positive place to be. 

I was the same, Initially told a partial but then just before surgery I was told it would likely be a total. My surgeon said although the recovery may be a little more difficult once recovered I wouldn’t be worse off with a total. 

That was in January, I was in hospital for 7 days and I recovered well, once home I was eating pureed food, porridge, spag Bol, just soft stuff and fortified with milk powder for extra calories and protein. I must say I hated those few weeks and had to force myself to eat, everything seemed to go straight through me and I felt a bit down. I was told it was all normal and would pass and it did. I was given creon digestive enzymes to help absorb nutrients and fats and they really helped stabilise my weight, I moved on to eggs, making omelettes and no pastry quiche, mash potatoes with gravy, cottage pie all food that didn’t need chewing and it started to get much better, I’ve just gone from there. I try and eat little and often some days I graze constantly, never drink 1/2 hour either side of a meal but can enjoy a cuppa and a biscuit or two no problem. I’ve had to cut out lactose which is common, if I eat too much or too fast I know about it within 20 minutes, the food just won’t settle and I bring some up but it’s not traumatic or painful. I sleep with my upper body raised a little to stop any reflux and my strength is returning. 

I’m on my second holiday since my op, I’m just watching what I eat but feel a bit sad not to indulge with my family but I’m here and that’s wonderful. I can drink a couple of gins of cocktails and get a bit tiddly quite quickly but that’s normal and cheap!

some days I can’t quite believe what my body has been through, I feel ok, life is fairly normal, some days I get tired or dumping syndrome but it’s all very manageable, I’ve even just started Pilates and am focused on rebuilding muscle. 

Dont be daunted by the surgery, you will get through it and life will be great once again Slight smile

• Thank you so so much for the positive replies everyone.  I had an MRI to check a shadow on my liver this morning and hopefully I will have a total diagnosis and treatment plan when I go back next week.

I am totally dreading the op, more for the short term term impact on recovery, being weak and unwell etc and more so the long term implications around diet and how much I can eat. My wife got upset thinking about Xmas and all the treats and nice food and massive Christmas dinners I will struggle with.  I’m finding it hard to sleep and waking up way too early worrying about it all.

I admit to having a bit of a meltdown on Saturday night, being tired and emotional, thinking about losing my stomach, being hospitalised and everything....I’m not too proud to admit I sobbed.

My wife is already doing her research and has started making me use lactose free milk after she read about possible tolerance issues!

jacquiw10, do you have any more details on that book you mentioned? I’d be interested in checking it out..

Thanks all :-)

• FormerMember

Hi Andy. You are quite entitled to a meltdown. If we are honest I think most people on here will have had them. I found that the Pre op period was the most difficult time. I remember those 3am mornings well when everyone was asleep but I was wide awake worrying about the unknown. It was actually a relief when my operation date arrived. I can honestly say that the days following my operation were not as bad as I had imagined they would be. You mentioned Christmas and on a positive note by then you will know which foods you can tolerate and which to avoid although you will be eating much smaller portions. The thing to remember is that you will still be sat around the table with the people who love and support you so it won’t matter if you spread the time of your meal out over a longer period. If I can help at all please msg me and I will get back to you and there’s loads of support on here from people that understand just what you and your family are going through at the moment. 

Take care

Donna

• FormerMember

Hi Andy

I had my surgery on 19 December and was allowed home late evening on Christmas Eve so I absolutely understand the concerns over Xmas festivities. I wasn’t particularly worried for myself, more about how the family would cope with the day when I couldn’t participate. Turns out we had a lovely if fairly quiet day together at my daughters house. Rather than the full meal, my daughter decided to do a buffet - it was very short notice anyway as I had expected to still be in hospital - and she made lots of soft foods which I could graze on whilst the rest of the family ate normally. It was the company that was important and we managed to laugh and joke our way through the day.

I started eating normal foods fairly quickly post op (I was fed up with the soft diet after a few days!) and I now enjoy full roast dinners just much smaller portions so hopefully you will be able to enjoy those as well.  I ensure I eat the proteins first and leave the vegetables til last in case I can’t manage everything on my plate. Over time the portion sizes have got slightly bigger and as my taste buds start to improve - and this took a few months - I enjoy my food more. 

I struggle with most dairy products but fortunately tolerate cheese very well. I add it to loads of foods to help with the calories. It is trial end error and learning how much I could eat at each sitting took a while. I am still very underweight but feel fine in myself and try to snack on nuts throughout the day to try to add some weight. I was borderline underweight before diagnosis though so no-one was surprised that my weight would continue to be an issue. I take Creon capsules as these amongst other benefits help slow the movement of food through my digestive system to try to increase the vitamins and calories my body absorbs. They are beginning to work as I have managed to put on 1lb...this is good news for me as I was losing weight each time previously! 

My new “normal” was easier to adapt to than I feared although I need to be fairly disciplined in ensuring I carry snacks with me when I am going out. I don’t tolerate cakes, biscuits etc very well so tend to carry nuts or quavers/crisps to snack on. I used to have a very sweet tooth but find myself preferring savoury options now. 

Let us know how the diagnosis and treatment plan goes. There will be someone on this forum who will have had the same experience and no doubt will offer support and advice.

Sending positive vibes

Karen Thumbsup

• Hi Andy

I remember only too well how terrified I felt and could never have imagined that I would ever have a normal life again but I do! Only six months after the operation and I go out to eat as I did before.

I read lots including this book The Art of Eating without a Stomach 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Eating-Without-Stomach-Gastrectomy/dp/1502509350/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=54740529778&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_P_x0-Lk4gIVgojVCh10OwqYEAAYASAAEgKbsvD_BwE&hvadid=259103268389&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9046944&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4405933842889514867&hvtargid=aud-612432642900%3Akwd-339735171554&hydadcr=24463_1816161&keywords=the+art+of+eating+without+a+stomach&qid=1560370924&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I also read the blog by which helped me feel more positive.

I used an App called Headspace to help me through the bad days and nights.  

Once you start the treatment it is easier as you are on the way to recovery.  

Happy to answer any questions! 

Take care

Jac