eating well after partial gastrectomy

• 4 replies
  • 19 subscribers

I am about to have a partial gastrectomy and although anxious about the opp, I am also concerned about eating following the operation. Does anyone have any suggestion's of where I can get information on nutritional ideas and meal suggestions. 

Also if anyone has any experience of getting back to fitness, I have been advised it will take 3 to 6 months to recover I like to swim a couple of times a week and enjoy walking and would like to return to it. I'm 68 years old and otherwise reasonably fit.

• Hi,

I had my operation 24th April, prior to the op, I had 48 hours on clear fluids then moved onto soup.

I prepared a lot of soft meals and froze them in small containers, cheesy mash, corn beef mixed with mashed potato, cauliflower cheese, homemade rice pudding made with a little sweetener instead of sugar, I avoided sugary foods and fizzy drinks for a good 3 months.

There’s a book called The art of eating without a stomach which is a good read and available on kindle.

I am almost back to normal now, eating most things I ate before, the food portions are still smaller than before the surgery and it’s a bit of trial and error with some foods, but on the whole everything is going well, 

Happy to answer any questions if I can, best wishes to you x

• Aldi has a good selection of high protein foods and the dietitian told me that fibre helps reduce dumping syndrome as it takes fibre longer to leave the stomach.

• thank you, I'll check out the book, its good to hear from someone who has come through the other side.

• Hi

I had a partial gastrectomy six years ago when I was 60. I returned to work part time after six weeks.  I didn’t have chemo after surgery.

I wrote a Blog of my treatment and recovery which you can read if you click on my name.

I researched what to eat after surgery and prepared for surgery as best I could mentally and physically! Walking and swimming are great preparation!  I walked a lot in preparation and as I recovered from chemo. Walking helped me recover and I walked out of HDU after four days to a normal ward because they couldn’t find a porter to take me! 
    If I can help do DM me!

Good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!