Post-op care

• 7 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Weirdness never stops. Husband had the operation on the 5th, discharged on Saturday the 13th (very strange discussion - do you want to go home or stay until Monday?).

Was reasonably ok, gradually eating a bit more, today some discharge from the wound - not blood, but not a clear liquid either, pinkish. Doesn’t look particularly evil, no other signs of infection, but obviously worrying. 

Phoned “surgical secretary”, the only number we were given, they said go to GP. Took couple of hours to get the callback, they’ve asked for some photos of the wound and prescribed antibiotics. No offer of a nurse visit, nothing  :( 

So didn’t need this, just hope antibiotics get it under control, but what’s the next step if not? Can’t imagine going to A&E, what will he eat while we wait there.

• Hi, have you got a rapid response number to call? or try 111, perhaps he does need to be seen as it takes time for oral antibiotics to start working. Given the circumstances he may get a home GP out of hours visit which could avoid A&E.
    I would also take his temperature.

I hope you can get some more support, the Mackmillan helpline is only open 8-8pm but the number is 0808 808 00 00

good luck and keep in touch with his progress x

• No temperature, it looks a bit better this morning. I think he’ll continue the antibiotics just in case. 

• If you’ve got a local urgent treatment centre or a walk in centre I would go there. They probably should’ve swabbed the wound too. Normally they give flucloxacillin for a wound infection as long as you’re not allergic to penicillin. If you can buy some iodine dressings I’d pop them on too. 

• We’ve managed to get a nurse appointment in our surgery this morning, she’s done the cleaning and the new dressing. It’s crazy that we didn’t get it on Monday, as if there isn’t enough stress. 

• Hope things continue to improve for you both x

• We went to the surgical emergency unit yesterday, as the dressing started to fall apart and the nurse appointment is only on Monday. 
    They think it’s ok, the liquid thing apparently “happens”. 
    Spent half a day waiting there, and only took one bottle of Fresubin with us. :( 

But on the positive side he had his first “eating out” meal - a jar of cottage cheese. Joy

• Small but positive steps, hope he enjoyed the cheese and continues well on his recovery Blush