Cancer has spread

• 32 replies
  • 25 subscribers

I was diagnosed with stomach cancer in August after many many months of trying to get the medical world to take my symptoms seriously (that's a whole other story).

The cancer is right at the bottom and caused a blockage leaving me unable to eat and only sip fluids.

After a laparoscopy in August I had a feeding tube put in and was to start 4 rounds of FLOT chemo.

Because of the blockage I had major sickness which kept putting me in hospital so they decided to do a CT scan before I had the fourth chemo.

Unfortunately the scan showed that the chemo hadn't worked but there was no spread so they decided to bring the surgery forward and cancel the fourth round of chemo.

I was going to have a total gastrectomy but my surgeon decided a partial gastrectomy would be better as the cancer is at the bottom of my stomach.

I was so happy about that.

I was terrified of the surgery and was in floods of tears on the morning (this was at the end of November) but was reassured this was my cure and so I felt reassured and went down for my surgery.

I was woken up in recovery to be told they couldn't do the planned surgery as my cancer has spread and is now incurable. They checked the CT scan again but have said they definitely can't see it showing that the cancer has spread.

Instead the did a stomach biopsy so I could have the feeding tube removed but I was devastated.

I'm due to start palliative chemo next week and I'm mostly trying to stay positive but inevitably I'm sat here on this new year's Day feeling overwhelmed, scared and sad not knowing what is in store for me this year.

Was Christmas my last or will I see another one?

These are the types of questions going through my head today.

I'm lucky in that I have great support from my adult children but I feel so bad for them as you can see the devastation in their eyes.

I'm a 51 year old female with a very strong history of stomach cancer in my close family and I feel angry that my symptoms were not taken seriously and it took so long to get a diagnosis.

• I am so very sorry to read this, it must be so hard for you to come to terms with it after you reporting it for so long. I can’t help you I’m afraid but im sure others will be along soon with more knowledge than me. Just wanted to send you a hug and I’m pleased you have great support from your family x

Sue Xx
  • What an unfortunate series of events.  I can see why you are so overwhelmed/angry/devastated and everything else besides. I can't imagine what it must be like going in for surgery A only to emerge with surgery B.  I'm  not a member of this group, as I have a different cancer but you might consider joining us in the  Living with incurable cancer forum - patients only in due course.  We are a welcoming friendly bunch of people whose cancers are incurable - some are treatable.   There is always someone around with experiences or perspectives to share and we help each other to feel better,.  I'm 54 with grown-up young people (19 & 22)  so I get you on that front too.  

• Thank you I'll pop over x

• I’m really sorry to read this, I’m sending you  love and a huge hug, it must be so difficult for you to get your head around the news, use those closest to you for the support  they are giving to help you, will continue to think of you xx

• I am really sorry to hear about your diagnosis, it must be such shock!  It sounds a bit confusing that the CT didn’t show the spread, so it might be worth asking for more information and perhaps a second opinion?  It is so hard to come to terms with and there is support from you and your family from MacMillan and Maggie’s if you have one near you.

I hope the chemo can improve things for you.  Sending love and positive thoughts!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Thanks. They told me they got a different radiographer to look at the scans again and he also said he couldn't see any spread. 

I just don't get it.

• Reading this following surgery four days ago. My heart goes out to you going down such a path is difficult at the best of times but to told it was changed Is just un imaginable.  There are many people on this forum who will give you support so hang in there   Am sure your family will also be supportive 

• I am so sorry to hear all this that you’ve gone through and continue to go through… as Jacqui said ask if possible of a second opinion… it must be so confusing for you…. Keep strong… 

Take care 

Michele