Stomach cancer treatment

• 7 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hi, my husband was diagnosed with stomach cancer July 22. It had already spread to his peritoneum at diagnosis so we were told surgery wasn't an option. However, they could offer him palliative chemo to buy him more time. He had 18 weeks of  Capox chemo and his latest scan showed the cancer had shrunk a little. He had been offered a place on a clinical trial for Her2 negative patients but the trial fell through. Now, we've been told that the cancer has to spread before they can offer him more treatment. He has to wait 3 months before they give him another scan. We just feel as if we've been le

ft hanging with no support. Is this the usual procedure? It feels as if they're happy the chemo worked to give him extra 6 months and now they're happy for nature to take its course. Feeling bewildered.Sob

• Hi

I am really sorry to hear about your husband and it seems very strange that you are now left in limbo.  It may be worth getting a second opinion.  It’s often hard to go down that road but you have the right to do that. Perhaps someone with more experience will come on and advise. 
    Such a difficult situation for you! 

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi Soozycoo,

I’m really sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis. I wanted to ask how things have been and hoping he has been well during his break from the chemo? My Mum similarly was also diagnosed with advance stomach cancer and has had 6 months of palliative chemo. She’s now also going on a 3-month break which I think is good so she can recover from all the toxic effects of the chemo but I can’t help but worry about what feels like a long time to go without any kind of treatment…

• Its a worry isnt it.  Around 2 weeks after my comment, my husband's abdomen began to swell. He was really uncomfortable so I rang his key worker and they arranged a CT scan and it was confirmed he has developed ascites in his peritoneum. We knew from the time he was diagnosed, the cancer had spread from the stomach to the peritoneum so I googled his symptoms and was convinced he had developed ascites so contacted the clinic. Ascites cause the abdomen to fill with fluid. He's had it drained twice in 2 weeks. A total of 11 litres. Last week they started him on chemo, docetaxel to slow down the asscites. So, although he wasn't due a scan til the end of March, they have moved quickly in response to this new development so don't hesitate to contact your team if you're worried about any new symptoms your mum might develop. I wish you all the best. It's a tough battle.

• I'm so sorry that has happened to your husband! My Mum had ascites at the start, it's how they found out about her cancer so I know how horribly painful it is and the drainage is quite a painful procedure also! It's a terrible thing to experience and see a loved one suffering from it.

But thank you for sharing, this is a definite worry we have especially as the 3 months suggested seems so long to go without treatment. I hope the chemo is working for your husband or will be soon and am glad that the response was quick. I can't help but question the logic behind the break though when it seems so risky to do. 

I wish you all the best as well. I wish more was known and there was more awareness about stomach cancer. I'm aware that it is relatively rare but it is such an awful, awful cancer. 

• I don't understand the break either, especially when some say they've been on chemo for a year or so. It just feels as if you've been left in the lurch. The only way I can describe it is, it's like takjng your loved one to A&E with heart failure, to be told 'sorry, we don't have any doctor to treat you.'  It's infuriating, frustrating, heartbreaking. Thanks for your message of support, it means a lot. My thoughts are with you and your Mam. xx

• Hi, sorry to hear what you have gone through. 

What is the update. Has the treatment now started?