Your symptom and diagnosis

• 4 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing what symptoms they had and how they got diagnosed? Appreciate that everyone’s symptoms would be different.

5 years ago I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done and was told I had erosive gastritis and was put on a course of ranitidine (ranitidine has since been banned/recalled due to increased risk in cancer in animals Disappointed).

There was no follow up and any stomach pain that I did experience after and went to the GP about was put down to gastritis and was prescribed omaprazole. They said I was too young for it to be anything more sinister.

Fast forward to 5 years, the stomach pain is now constant, it wakes me up at night or I find it hard to sleep. I ended up in A&E 2 months ago and they thought it was to do with my bladder/liver/pancreas so had an ultrasound and X-ray. They gave me a course of antibiotics and some metroniprazole and painkillers to take home whilst I waited for results. However all it showed was a lot of trapped wind?

I finished the medicine but the pain hasn’t gone away, I just woke up from it (2am). Sometimes when I press down I can feel some gas bubbles? I am due to see a consultant on Tuesday but am fearing the worst. What if they missed something 5 years ago and it has been festering since? 

I have been reading so many of your stories on here and other forums and people who are similar in age or younger were diagnosed and early detection was always key.

I’m feeling really scared and my heart hurts every time I think about my two girls (4 and 6) potentially growing up without a mummy Sob I have no one to share these fears with so ended up writing a post here - I hope you don’t mind.

Can an endoscopy alone detect whether you have stomach cancer?

• Hi

I replied to your post on the other page.  My stomach cancer was found during an endoscopy and when I had Bowel cancer, it was found by a colonoscopy.

I would push the consultant for both tests as a CT Scan didn’t show it my case.  I ignored the symptoms of Bowel cancer for months and so it was Stage 3 when I was diagnosed.

The symptoms of stomach cancer are common in other stomach problems and that’s why it is not always found at the early stages.   I felt sick and lost my appetite which is why I went for tests.

I hope the consultant on Tuesday moves things forward and you get tests to find out what the problem is!

Do use this Forum for support!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi Jac, 

Thank you for kindly sharing your diagnosis with me and for taking the time to respond to not just this post, but also the other post. 

I think the waiting and not knowing is putting me in a bad place mentally. I already expect to be told something horrible as I tick off a lot of the symptoms, including loss of appetite, but my worst fear is being told it is too far in advanced to do anything. I know what’s done is done and nothing can be changed but I can’t help but kick myself for just accepting what the GPs have told me over the years Disappointed

I am fine during the day mostly as the kids and work keep me occupied, it’s just when I’m alone in my own thoughts at night that my mind starts to play out all the worst case scenarios

Sorry for rambling on x

• I completely understand!  The only thing I would say is, you can’t control the future so try not to go there!  I used the Headspace app to manage the dark days and nights!  It uses Mindfulness and all the techniques helped me a lot!

It is absolutely understandable that you imagine the worst but you are young and there are so many treatments if it is cancer.   Even Stage 4 cancer is treatable!  
    Stress and anxiety make it worse and can cause loss of appetite!

I tried to focus on getting as fit as possible to give myself the best chance of coping with treatment!

Fingers crossed that they find out what is wrong and you feel better! 

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi Jac,

Thank you for your kind words and tips on managing stress and anxiety. I will definitely take your advice on headspace and listen to that over more googling at night!  

I didn’t want to burden my family with my bad thoughts so it’s been really uuseful to write them here and have someone respond back Xx