Stomach cancer - seeking some answers

• 1 reply
  • 20 subscribers

Hi, my partner told me at Xmas he had been diagnosed with stomach cancer & had known for a few months. I noticed no odd symptoms but we don’t live together. He started chemo tablets for 3 months, 2 weeks on, 1 week off etc for 3 months & 3 weeks ago had surgery to remove 2 cancerous tumours. All seems to have gone well but I am concerned he is not on any chemo or radiotherapy treatment. The surgery seems to be the end of it. I’m not sure if he’s being completely honest with me re it all. I can’t see how the surgery would simply be the end of it with no further treatment. Has anyone been in a similar position? I’m looking some sort of reassurance. Thanks 

• Hi

i had chemo then a partial gastrectomy three years ago for stomach cancer.  I didn’t have chemo after surgery although it was offered to me and is the standard treatment.

The reason I didn’t, was that I had a clear pathology after surgery i.e. there was no cancer left when they operated.  I was really lucky and it was early stage cancer and the chemo eradicated it.

I decided not to have cancer post surgery - it is harder to cope with as your stomach is affected by chemo and I was really unwell due to the side effects.   I had lost a lot of weight and was just adjusting to eating again.

So it is possible not to have further treatment after surgery.   He will have regular check ups. 

I found that I wanted my life back and to start doing all the things I love !

Good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!