stomach stent-is it a good idea?

• 2 replies
  • 20 subscribers

My mum is trying to make up her mind wether or not to have a stent fitted to help with swallowing. She is unable to eat solid food and has been surviving on soup and hot drinks. The doctors seem to think its a good idea for her to gain some weight but I've heard conflicting reports about hoe beneficial they can be and also how painful they are.

• Hi

I can see from your other post that your mum decided to go ahead with the stent and her operation was yesterday. How did she get on?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook,

Didn't go ahead in the end-she's too frail. I was a bit mad-surely they could see that before they kept pushing her for an answer. I was doubtful myself and I'm not a doctor. Wish they'd spent more time on trying to get her to eat and getting her out of bed to preserve what little strength she has.

This morning they were going mad on physio-I honestly get the feeling they don't really know what they're doing. For three weeks they've left her sat in her bed, decided she had dementia, was a fall risk, offered her food she couldn't eat! Fuming! Can't wait to get her home-which they are trying to do now that she cant have the stent and they need the bed. 

At least at home shell be happy.