Treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 18 subscribers

My daughter aged 37 has just sadly passed away from stage 4 stomach cancer.  She was initially given 6 months to live and her cancer was inoperable due to metastasis in more than one lymph gland.  She managed to survive 14 months which was great but was never long enough.  I wanted to post a positive spin on this by highlighting what a marvelous support the hospice was.  I was reluctant to let my daughter go into a hospice as I thought it was a place to die.  However, she wanted to go into a hospice so I complied. The hospice was able to get on top of her symptoms but much more than that was the care they provided and the outstanding support they gave to our family.  We had family problems concerning a drug addict for a father for her two children aged 8 and 5 years.  The hospice supported and helped us to ensure that the children were well cared for with us following her death.  The hospice also enabled the children to visit her and provided film nights, fire pit evenings.  We were allowed unlimited visiting and during her final weeks the hospice actually allowed us to stay in a room and we were able to sit with her day and night in shifts.  This time was so important for us to be with her and we would not have been allowed this access if she had been in a hospital.  I cannot emphasise enough  how nothing was too mush trouble for the hospice.  I sincerely hope everyone has a more positive story on this site but if you find yourselves at end of life with your loved one please consider the hospice in a more positive light/