Metastatic Stomach Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hello

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has had, or is going through, a similar experience.

I am 54 years old. After three years of symptoms and tests, all of which were inconclusive, I was finally diagnosed in December 2019 with metastatic stomach cancer (Upper GI), with secondary cancer (Adenocarcinoma) in three lymph nodes - chest, abdomen and neck.

I was advised that it is treatable (but not curable) and given a rather bleak prognosis of 6-12 months. To say that my world turned upside down would be an understatement.

To date, and despite the limitations of Covid, I have had 8 cycles of chemo (Cisplatin and Capecitabine) and a short course of radiotherapy to ‘blast’ the node in my abdomen that was stubbornly refusing to shrink.

After a two month break with no treatment, which was a complete blessing, I had a CT scan last week and have an appointment scheduled with my Oncologist next week. I am beside myself with worry as having had no symptoms at all to date, and having breezed through chemo and radiotherapy with hardly any side effects, over the last few weeks I have struggled with fatigue and muscle/joint pains in my legs. I feel about 90!

My biggest worry is, of course, that the tumours have grown.  Having dealt with my diagnosis by going into complete denial (as I have felt fine), now that I don’t feel so good I know that I need to arm myself with more information, especially in relation to what lies ahead pain-wise and time-wise, but I have no idea where to start.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lombardi,

I don’t have this condition myself but my husband (52) was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer Dec 19. It had already spread to peritoneum and was incurable. He has had the same chemo as you and a different one after that, but for him sadly neither has worked. 

I would be happy to tell you more but I guess my advice would be to wait for your scan results first. Everyone reacts differently to treatment and your symptoms may simply be a result of all the chemo building up.

Unfortunately for my lovely hubby his treatment options are becoming more limited and his health has deteriorated considerably in the last 11 months, but we remain hopeful that he might be able to try immunotherapy (waiting to hear) and have not asked for a timeline, though I know prognosis is poor (he prefers not to know details which I respect).

I wish you well and hope you get good news soon. Please feel free to keep posting and I’ll share as much of our experience as I can should you want to hear it.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello Bramblejoo,

thank you so much for your reply, but I am so very sorry to read about your husband’s health. 
    my scan results were OK; some tumour growth but thankfully no new tumours. My consultant has agreed that I can have another two months off treatment (as we are in the final throes of building our own home, so it gives us a chance to focus on getting that finished), then reviewing the situation again in the new year. I will then be trying a different chemo with potentially more side effects. Immunotherapy is not an option for me, unfortunately, as I have had the tests and none are compatible.

I would love to keep in touch with you and find out more about your husband’s treatment, share my experiences etc.

in the meantime, I’m sending you both lots of positive thoughts.

Thank you again.

• FormerMember

No problem, good luck with the house build in the meantime and please feel free to message me / add me as a friend if you want to chat any time.

We wait to hear Friday if immunotherapy is an option, if not third line chemo instead. But have to say he’s deteriorated considerably in last month or so. Hoping once he’s back on some form of treatment it might help delay things a bit but I am worried. It’s been 11 months since diagnosis and he is a shadow of the man he was. So sad and I hate this disease.

• I have had a very similar diagnosis nearly two years ago now. I’m completely healed and can offer what I did. It’s a challenge but completely doable. Message me if you’d like to know more.

Debra
    Stomach cancer survivor
    There is always hope, you just need to open your eyes and heart Slight smile
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to dbc

My husband has stomach cancer which had already spread to peritoneum when discovered, and has since spread further into peritoneum and bowel. This is despite chemotherapy and ‘alternative’ medicine (almond milk, mushrooms, Manuka honey, matcha, turmeric, super food smoothies). He has blood clots in his lungs and is in very poor health. We have tried to do what we can but this doesn’t always guarantee success. He was never a candidate for a gastrectomy due to spread.

I am pleased that you are well but we have don’t want false hope.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to dbc

Hi Debra

I have sent you a friendship request and would love to speak with you further.

Take care,

Sue

• FormerMember

Hi Bramblejoo

nice to hear from you again 

I have sent you a friendship request.

take care,

sue