Post Total Gastrectomy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Has anyone had total gastrectomy and suffering from constant bile reflux.  No medications work and my mum cannot sleep due to this.  She has now been  diagnosed with Barrets Oesophagus!!  Shocking how my mum has had no support and basically Hospital & GPs have given up!!  Animals would not suffer like this!  I have exhausted all research and this is my last try at hoping to find someone else out there who could advise ?  Thanks

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that your mum is suffering from constant bile reflux which means that she can't sleep. This must be very distressing for both of you.

I haven't had this condition but noticed that your post hadn't had any response. If you type 'bile reflux' into the search bar in this group you'll find quite a lot of posts which mention this. You could have a read through them to see what the posters found helped and reply to any of the more recent ones if you want further information.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your mum's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I hope that you're able to find something which helps soon.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Onedeal.  I'm sorry to hear your mum is suffering like this.  

My dad is awaiting his gastrectomy and I was thinking about buying a wedge pillow to help with reflux.  I wondered if you had tried one of these.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

hi my hubby has had a total gastrectomy on 10th August.  His join was leaking and it took almost 4 weeks to heal.  He has since been unable to tolerate food of any kind as it goes right through him.  He does get reflux but controls that with gaviscon.  Dieticians suggest all kinds of food and have given supplements but he doesn't particularly like them and don't help.  He was given creon tablets to take with food to help absorb nutrients but I doubt that is doing much good.  He has lost 3 stone since the op.

• Gosh, I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. My dad has had bile reflux on and off since his gastrectomy back in 2018. Here is what helps him: Cholestyramine (questran lite) - it is a life-saver. Insist on it. Demand it. Sleeping propped up. Eating something every 3-4 hours no matter how little he wants to, no matter what.

Knowledge makes us stronger. Research, question, share and demand more from your doctors. Read my profile for my dad's stage IV story.