Was cancer missed in previous endoscopy

• 3 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hello.l am hoping l might ask for help here.  My previous endoscopy 2 years ago was clear but here l am again with all the symptoms pointing to possible cancer. How common is it for a previous test to be clear? Is there any other test l can get which might find it better in the stomach or duodenum. Thank you for your help.

• Hi

Sorry to hear you are worried about symptoms again.  I think it’s best to get another test as with all cancers the earlier the diagnosis the better!  My profile details my experience and my cancer was found very early so I was very lucky.

What are your symptoms? Many of the symptoms for stomach cancer can be due to other causes. 

So try to get a test and good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I was in a similar situation in that I had a endoscopy 21 months ago which was clear except for some erosion. 8 months ago I went to my GP with symptoms and another endoscopy was requested. The consultant refused on the grounds that my blood tests hadn't changed. Symptoms persisted and after another 3 requests from my GP over the next 6 months, I was granted an endoscopy which identified a 1cm tumour 'malignant in appearance ' . It was followed up with a CT scan which identified a 5cm tumour extending from my stomach down into the duodenum.

My advice would be not to worry unduly at this point, but persist with your GP to get a further endoscopy, just in case. I don't think that a CT scan would be available unless indicated by an endoscopy. Please note that stomach cancer is rarer than some other types, so don't worry unduly at this stage. Just get it investigated.

• Thank you for your detailed reply. Yes like you l have made several visits to the GP and l am going to insist on another endoscopy or pay for a private one. I just don't believe that l am so unusual or special that no one can sort this .