Total Gastrectomy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi all,

Hope you are keeping well.

I was diagnosed with stomach cancer in January and completed four rounds of Flot chemotherapy in April. Due to Covid, surgery had been postponed as deemed too high risk. I had a scheduled scan post chemo and my MDT team have decided to resume surgeries and I have to go into hospital on Tuesday for a total gastrectomy.

Whilst I am so grateful for getting the opportunity for surgery I am extremely anxious regarding recuperation, Covid in hospital and life post surgery.

Was hoping for some advice from anyone who has had a total gastrectomy regarding recuperation in hospital and at home. Any knowledge on diet and eating would be appreciated also. Have had a look at a guide on the OPA website and whilst it is comprehensive, first hand experience would be great to hear.

Thanks in advance and take care all.

Claire

• Hi

I had a partial gastrectomy in January 2019 and wrote a blog so click on my name to read it.  I found the operation and recovery much easier than I could have imagined. I was in HDU for four days and got home on day 5.  I was on an Enhanced Recovery Programme which meant I was up and moving very quickly.  I did all the breathing exercises and that helped 

Eating was a lot of trial and error and I ate really small amounts at first.  High protein foods like full fat milk, cheese, eggs.  I avoided sugar for a while and bread too but gradually moved from soft foods after six weeks .

I was lucky as I had no complications and my main challenge was gaining weight.

Do send me PM if that helps.

Take care

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi Claire,

I had a total gastrechtomy last year and am recovering well. Message me and I’d be happy to chat about what I did and how to recover quickly.

best wishes

Debra

Debra
    Stomach cancer survivor
    There is always hope, you just need to open your eyes and heart Slight smile
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to dbc

Hi Debra, hope all is well. My father has recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer. It’s has not spread however it is quite large within the area. Operation is not an option so he is being told that he has to live with it. He will be starting chemo next week for the next 6 weeks or so. I wa a just wondering what type of stomach cancer you had and if there was any types of foods you had eaten? Any advice which you can please give me? Thank you so much.