Post-Surgery Diet

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hi this is my first post!  My Dad has stage 2 stomach cancer, he has had 4 lots of FLOT chemo and on Friday had surgery to remove his stomach. Thankfully he’s doing well, and hopefully he’ll be coming home in 7 days.  Dad lives on his own so I’m going to move in with him for a few weeks, I just wondered if anyone had any advice or suggestions for his meals or what they found worked well after stomach removal.  I’m concerned I want him to get his nutrients but don’t want to give him the wrong things. Many thanks for any advice.

• Hi

Hope all is going well for your dad. I found the advice from the Oespheagal Patients Association really useful. 

https://www.opa.org.uk/edit/files/opa_green_book_v1_2.pdf

Eating small amounts of soft foods and focus on high protein and high calorie intake but you need to watch too much sugar.  It was a lot of trial and error! Eating slowly was important and not eating and drinking at the same time in the early days was important!  I bought a small plate and just built up quantities really slowly.  I started with a cupful and then built it up.  It’s hard to know when you have eaten too much so I was really careful at the beginning. Little and often was the maxim!

I wrote a Blog so click on my name or send me a Personal message!  

Do use this group as I found it invaluable!

Good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jacquiw10

Thanks very much for the advice and I’ll have a good look at the website!