Aftercare after total gastrectomy surgery

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi, for those who have had a total gastrectomy (or if anyone knows someone who has) I am interested to find out how you all are getting on recovery wise after this operation? Were you given any follow up check up scans after surgery etc.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Nina x

• Hi, I had this op on October 24th last year. My recovery was good in that by Xmas I was able to eat small regular meals. Unfortunately for me, I needed 4 more rounds of chemo commencing after Boxing Day and this really set me back. Not everyone needs chemo after the op though. I did have some malabsorption problems and I am taking creon tablets for that. I feel that now my chemo is over, I will be able to gain weight again. The operation sounds drastic but the aim is to cure. I’m so glad I found this site as there are a lot of positive posts on it. Best wishes. 

• Hi all,

I’ve had a good experience after my operation in early August. A few issues with stuck food but I think that’s because I rush sometimes. I’m pretty much back to normal food now but small meals and often. In fact I’m constantly eating!

I’m putting a website together if you’re interested. Still new but will be putting recipes and tips on what I did. Stomach free life dot com

i am cured now but it’s been a challenging journey particularly with chemotherapy. I think the most difficult part is emotional/psychological which there’s very little help for but I’ve found complementary and alternative therapies invaluable for that.

Debra
    Stomach cancer survivor
    There is always hope, you just need to open your eyes and heart Slight smile
  • Hi, I would be interested in your website as it’s still early days for me in terms of eating and discovering which foods exasperate the situation. 
    in answer to the previous post in this thread, I have not been offered a follow up scan because they don’t want to subject me to further radiation. I see my cancer nurses in 2 weeks time so I will learn then of my future care plan. I will share any useful information with you all. 
    thanks. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to maggie55

Hi Maggie 

I had my surgery 14 months ago, life after surgery is ok, although over the past few months my meals are becoming a bit smaller. My surgeon thinks I need a stretch due to scarring and I’m due for a barium meal next week to see where the problem is. 

all trusts appear to be different with their follow up care. My Trust does not routinely scan and I must say I felt a little abandoned post treatment. However, I discussed that with my surgeon and nurse and they told me I can call on them any time with concerns. I had a little pain around Christmas time under my ribs and called my nurse, they suspected gallstones and arranged an ultrasound which showed liver deposits, this was fallowed up with an MRI and which showed all was normal.

It was all done quickly so whilst there’s no planned aftercare other than 6 monthly catch up with nurse, dietician and surgeon they were very quick to react and give me scans etc when needed. 

Best wishes Lou x