Stomach Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 18 subscribers

I am due to start chemo on 25th as long as l can rid of this cold , can anyone give me any advice on what to take to the sessions any any tips on how to combat the after effects

Thankyoi

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

for chemo I would always take a book or download a film to my phone, headphones, a large bottle of water (very important to drink a lot to flush it out) fluffy socks or slippers to get comfy sometimes I’d fall asleep so an eye mask helped, snacks, and remember to wear something where your picc line if you have one is accessible, my first one I made the mistake of wearing a jumpsuit and going the loo was ridiculous!

For side affects it helps to make a note of anything so you can let your team know, they can help with certain things like different nausea pills, I found ondansetron were the only ones that helped, I got difflam mouthwash from GP as my throat became very sore, my nurse gave me mouth drops to help with oral thrush, biotem toothpaste was good for my dry mouth. I bought a hand held fan as I’d get hot flushes, my skin became dry I invested in a good face and body cream, a good thermometer as you’ll be taking your temperature a lot, I also had a hospital bag packed, sounds dramatic but with every cycle I had temperature spikes and was admitted twice, it helps to have things to hand, book, earphones, eye mask and ear plugs A&E is noisy, spare pjs and underwear and snacks. Might not happen but it’s good to have a plan. 

remember to drink plenty of water it really does help with side affects, eat whatever you feel like. If you feel up to a walk wrap up, the cold air was awful for my neuropathy.  Everyone is different with side affects just remember the good thing is it’s temporary. 

wishing you lots of luck x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Although the sessions can be long I chatted a lot to the other patients which helped pass the time. I always had a good book and a mobile phone too. My work colleagues set up a WhatsApp group and on days when they knew I had chemo, would send random funny and occasionally rude messages! I loved the banter and on the occasions when I laughed out loud at their comments, found it encouraged conversation with others.

i always got comfy...shoes off, recliner up etc and snacked pretty much the whole time I was there. Most of the time could be marked off by the arrival of the morning coffee and biscuits, then the lunch trolley and finally the afternoon tea and biscuits. I was always peckish on chemo days so made the most of the offerings.

Word of advice...don’t sit on cold benches for a couple of days post chemo. The neuropathy triggered pins and needles in my thighs and bum which was really weird! 

Hope your treatment goes well and starts next week as planned. Keep us posted how you get on. 

• Hi

Like others I found drinking at least 2 to 3 litres of water per day really important.  For nausea I eventually found Ondansetron was best but watch out for constipation!  I ate little and often helped especially during the first week.  Rich Tea biscuits and polo mints helped!

Everyone reacts differently and I found the advice of the CNS invaluable so don’t be afraid to phone for advice.

I used the App Headspace to manage the stress and found a number of things helped at the difficult times - listening to music, watching TV...

I tried to go for a walk every day but some days it was a bit of a struggle!  

Do let us know how you get on!

xx

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!