Possible Sarcoma

• 9 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi, I’m new to this forum. I had small bowel cancer 10 years ago was stage 3 had right bowel re section and adjuvant chemotherapy. I was also diagnosed with Crohn’s disease at the same time. I Was signed off after 5 years from hospital and since then have been feeling fabulous. I had surgery for kidney stones beginning of last year, should of had a 3 month follow up but never because of covid however, I’ve  just had it last month  Unfortunately it came back with a abnormalities in my abdomen pelvis and lungs. After meeting with my original surgeon from 10 years ago he’s not convinced it’s a recurrence of bowel cancer he thinks it could be a new cancer called sarcoma. I’m very shocked about this. I’m having a biopsy on the 9th of this month to confirm. Can anyone give me any advice please. 

• So sorry to hear about the suspicious abnormalities. Sarcomas are rare only 1% of all cancers. The biopsy is the only way to confirm what it is and also what sub-type it is. There are 50 types of sarcoma so they not be able to identify the sub type from a small biopsy. They test for the most common and work down the list. Be prepared for this, they may need another biopsy to get the sub type. It’s important to identify it to get the treatment correct. 

If they are malignant and spread then chemotherapy could be the first option. For most sarcomas doxorubicin seems to be the go to treatment as a first line and it’s tough. 

please let us know the result and what plan they gave. Good luck

• Thank you for replying. I will let you know, the thought of it all is driving me mad. I’m going on holiday in the 16th September and plan to go they will need to work round this as I’ve made my mind up I’m definitely going. I will let you know what happens. 

Cath

• Good plan to have a holiday, they will be happy for you to do that to. Make sure you enjoy yourself and make the most of it. Many sarcomas are slow growing, for reference I have  7 nodules in both lungs and the largest one grew by around 1cm in 6 months without treatment, so fingers crossed if it is a sarcoma, its a slow growing one. 

enjoy the break

• Thank you so much for your kind words. The surgeon I met with is the original surgeon who did my bowel re section 10 years ago. He said there is a 1cm nodule in my lung which he thinks is malignant. There are also several extremely small nodules on both lungs. The mass or tumour don’t know what to call it in my left hip is 4cm. There is also something showing outside my bowel that’s 3cm could be an enlarge lymph node on the right side. He thinks it’s not bowel cancer recurrence as it’s such a late presentation. Sarcoma are in his thoughts. 

Cath

• Hi. Just to say I had a fab holiday. Came back to a phone call for appointment on Tuesday I assume regarding the results of my biopsy. My usual consultant is on holiday so seeing someone else which I’m a bit bothered about. By the way the biopsy was quite bad he couldn’t get me numbed up. 

Cath

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Faloola

All the best for tomorrow Cath. Glad you managed to have a good holiday x

• Awe thank you. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous can’t sleep still up. 

Cath

• So been to the hospital and it’s bad news the small bowel cancer had returned after 10 years and spread. This consultant said it’s inoperable and the last one said it would be if the chemo shrinks the tumours. I have an oncology consultation this Friday. It’s a stage 4. Cry I asked how long I had and he wouldn’t commit. 

Cath

• Hi - I’ve just finished radiotherapy for my recurrent localised prostate cancer. I’m probably getting a bit paranoid but have noticed / felt a small lump behind knee (about 2/3 cm long) it bit soft and doesn’t move when pushed. Read about soft tissue sarcomas - any advice / comments on similar symptoms and diagnosis?

mant thanks

Stavros