Scared - waiting for sarcoma op

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 23 replies
  • 21 subscribers

14 weeks ago (whilst pregnant) I went to my GP as I'd developed a large painful swelling on my right buttock. My GP referred me to the hospital straight away. After an ultrasound I was diagnosed with a hematoma as a result of a wrongly sighted steroid injection a few weeks earlier. I was in hospital for a week before the surgeons decided what to do with me as I was pregnant. Then it was decided I would have the hematoma removed under spinal...this then triggered the birth of my baby 5 weeks early and I had an emergency c-section on the same day. After a few weeks the swelling reappeared and I couldn't walk again and had an infection . I was readmitted and subsequently had the hematoma washed out 7 more times. Each time the swelling came back. Eventually my consultant sent a biopsy to histology and this is when I got the devastating news that the lump was a sarcoma, thankfully I only have one tumour although it's very big. I am now in hospital waiting for op to have it removed on Friday I'm very anxious about the surgery and can't stop crying. I just want this thing removed so I can get on with my life but keep imagining the worst. Any positive experiences would be appreciated as this is eating me up from the inside. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to SuperReedy

SuperReedy said:

Thank you. 

I was treated at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. I had a brilliant surgeon who even now is only a phone call away. 

The antibiotics might take a couple of days to get into your system then you will feel a million dollars! I wonder why you have been isolated, I was moved from hdu to general plastic surgery ward when I was still trying to get infection under control. 

I do hope that you start to feel better soon 

Best wishes 

Alice xx

Hi Alice, was just thinking about you and how you were getting on and if your ok after your infection x x

• I also had a sarcoma grow when I was pregnant (sept2019) but because it didn't cause me any problems I left it wasnt until I went for my contraceptive appointment that I mentioned it too my gp who thought it was a lipoma but sent me for an ultrasound which then turned into a mri scan and biopsy, because the biopsy came back clear and the scan results didn't show it as anything serious it took a while for an appointment too come through too have it removed. I had it removed april 2020 and it was sent off too be tested and I was told that it was a grade 1 spindle cell sarcoma but I got really lucky in that it hadn't grown any bigger or spread too my surrounding leg tissue and I didn't have too have any chemotherapy or radiotherapy after having it removed. I think for me the hardest part of my journey wasnt the surgery but the mental side of it and admitting to myself and others that it had affected me more than I thought it would. It's also made me realise how precious life is and the people who love me and not too take life for granted! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Winnie  the Poo???