MOHs

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 22 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Should I consider any other surgery except MOHs for removal of BCC on the nose?

I can have it excised without grafting in the next 2 weeks.

The nearest MOHs surgeon is around 1hr drive, I am having a private consultation with him soon over the phone and am willing to pay to have it performed quickly.

Another problem is covid, is this surgery being performed? if not could the delay go on for many months? as this will leave people living under difficult circumstances and travelling there under these circumstances when my husband is being shielded will be very difficult.

This is a very worrying time and after reading about surgery for facial BCC I would have thought the surgeon would have mentioned MOHs as being the gold standard but he didn't. 

Has anyone had BCC excised from nose with no grafting? the width he will take will be 11mm, if so what was the result?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am having MOHS next week for a SCC on my collarbone.  My dermatologist said it has the highest cure rate and the least amount of scaring..   Would love to hear what you decide and how it all goes for you.

Best wishes!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Loridor_46,

Many thanks for your reply, I think from reading around the subject and the discussions in this group MOHs surgery is what I hope I can manage to access, fingers crossed.

I understand they take only the tissue necessary so reoccurrence is rare and as you mention scaring less.

Due to covid it has been difficult accessing any health care issues and this the time when you are most in need of help and advice.

I hope your surgery goes smoothly ....you must have an excellent dermatologist as mine only mentioned MOHs when I asked him and just informed me it had stopped being carried out in my area.....

I will let you know how I get on....and please let me know how your surgery goes.

Best wishes. X

• FormerMember

I am so sorry to hear MOHS is no longer being done in your area and that you have go this route on your own.

I truly believe this is the procedure to have, especially on the face.  My hub has had 3 done very successfully.  Mine is being done for squamous cell on my collarbone and I have a lot of anxiety about this ,but not the procedure itself.

Best of luck with your consult. Take care!

• FormerMember

I had my phone consultation with the MOHs dermatologist this morning and have decided to pay privately, this has removed a great deal of anxiety . He did inform me on how to access this surgery on the NHS but I know the wait was very long prior to the lockdown so heavens knows what it will be once the surgery resumes. He also mentioned radiotherapy but having read around this I remain to have more confidence in MOHs, it is just sad that although this surgery is the "gold standard" for BCC especially on the face it appears to  have limited access and a very long wait.

Hope your surgery goes well. 

• FormerMember

I am so happy to hear it went well and now that your decision has been made you feel less anxious.  As I said, my DH had excellent results all 3 times.  Did you get a date?

My surgery is Sunday, yes SUNDAY! At 6:30 AM no less.  Will be so great to get it over with.  

• FormerMember

Hi Loridor,  Wow! Sunday brilliant and 6:30 means you are not worrying all day about the surgery.

My surgery will be in 1 to 2 months this is a consequence of covid 19. I am happy to wait as it was like winning the lottery when he said he would place me on his list and this is paying for the treatment, I cannot imagine the length of wait on  NHS it was very long before covid at the nearest hospital to me. It seems like false economy  why not make this proceedure easily available  to everyone who requires it if reoccurrence is minimal rather than spend more on after care and phsycological care of patients.

I have become extremely anxious of the weather....and sunshine! I was a gardener loved my bike and walking outdoor person I guess. Since my I have become a hermit and if I do venture out I am covered from head to toe and my ultra sun factor 50 on my face gives me a look of being unwell, I hope this obsession improves. I have bought special UV blocking sun hats and t shirts and am hoping I can find some head  gear that will allow me to ride my bike.

I was very pleased to hear from you, just wondering have you ever tried mindfulness for your anxiety? I do practice it and it helps me very much.

Hope your surgery goes well....please let me know. You will be in my thoughts on Sunday morning. X

• FormerMember

Have not got a date at present...my wait will be longer as a result of covid. I hope I too have a good result as I am concerned this BCC is on the side of my nose.... cannot hide any scar I'm afraid but reading reviews on my dermatologist I have great faith in him.

Good luck for Sunday...please let me know how you get on.

• FormerMember

I have not received a date at present but it will be a little longer than usual due to the effects of covid. I hope I too have good results, especially as the BCC is on the side of my nose, no where to hide any scar.  On reading the reviews on my dermatologist I am confident that I will receive the best treatment possible...

Hope your operation goes well Sunday...please  keep me updated 

Thanks for your support. 

• FormerMember

Hi, Poolie 123.  It's over and done and was quicker than a cavity filling and painless.  I had a wonderful tech and the surgeon was fab.  I waited only about 20 minutes for results and didn't need a second go round.  Stitches out in 12 days.  I think the short result time was due to being the first this morning and not having to wait while others were being processed. 

You have made the right choice and hope you get a date soon. 

Be well! X

• FormerMember

Hi Loridor,

Fantastic! I am so pleased everything went well for you, now you can relax and heal! I hope my surgery will be early morning less time to think about it and worry.

I hope you continue without any problems and mentally recover from this episode.

I will keep you informed of my progress but think it will be July before I get a date and this only  if we don't have a covid second wave in which case I think it will delayed which I could well do without.

Take care... lovely to hear your news. 

Kay